Miller Thunder Plasma Cutter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Thunder Plasma Cutter

I have a line on a Miller thunder at a pawn shop for $499. Not a scratch and the tip barely looks used. I can probably get it even cheaper. This looks to be the model previous to the Miller spectrum 125. it says up to 3/16 but will it cut 1/4" at all? That's the largest I would probably ever need. 3/16" would be the average most times.

I found a new hobart 250ci on ebay for $650 with free shipping. This seems about the same but is rated for 1/4"

this would be my first jump into the plasma world.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Second Location
    HF 220v gasless mig
    Hobart AC Stickmate
    80/B O/A

I have a Thunder, and it struggles to cut 3/16", ans I mainly use it for expanded metal. It's OK for light stuff, but I find I use my cutoff wheels more. I paid $800+ for mine from Cyberweld. Not having run the 250, I couldn't advise you either way..they just don't compare to the bigger ones using shop air.

Comment

Thanks Rocky. I cut most stuff with a chop saw to. Think I'll get the plasma out of my system and look at something I can get more use out of anyway.

Rob
      Second Location
      HF 220v gasless mig
      Hobart AC Stickmate
      80/B O/A

Comment

I wasn't referring to a chop saw...I meant a cut off wheel in a 4 1/2" grinder.

Comment

Oh you mean like the real thin discs. You find that easier than a plain chop saw? NEver thought of that. When I built my 5x12 trailer I didn't have either, just used a sazl-all with a metal cutting blade. 2z2x3\16" angle I could get about 10 cuts of so from a blade. Nice clean cut.

Rob
          Last edited by robsd; 11-06-2007, 02:14 PM.
          Second Location
          HF 220v gasless mig
          Hobart AC Stickmate
          80/B O/A

Comment

Originally posted by robsd View Post
            Oh you mean like the real thin discs. You find that easier than a plain chop saw? NEver thought of that. When I built my 5x12 trailer I didn't have either, just used a sazl-all with a metal cutting blade. 2z2x3\16" angle I could get about 10 cuts of so from a blade. Nice clean cut.

Rob
            No, not easier than a chop saw..the chop saw has its place, and you definitely need one, especially for straight cuts...you were asking about a plasma cutter, and the cut off wheel on a hand grinder do most of that...when you get to the heavy stuff, then you would use the plasma...I have one, but seldom use it, mainly because most of my stuff is fairly light gauge.

Comment

Ok I'm finally catching up. For those long cuts that won't fit in a chop saw. 10-4.

Thanks,
              Rob
              Second Location
              HF 220v gasless mig
              Hobart AC Stickmate
              80/B O/A

Comment

Working...
              X