Plasma Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plasma Questions

I,m interested in plasma cutting and would also like to do some plasma welding. I was wondering if and how to change from cutting to welding. Is it as easy as switching polarity or changing the tungstun or can it even be done. Also for the secondary current control, is it pre set by the manufacture or is it a manual setting that you have to set yourself? I would like to purchase one but I would also like to know what I'm talking about when I do. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Plasma welding and cutting

Please are two totally different processes and are not performed by the same type of machine.

Plasma welding is performed by using a constant current power source that provides low voltage/high current output. It also uses two gases; one shielding, one plasma. Usually both Argon but this can vary.

Plasma cutting on the other hand is a constant current power source, but it provides a HIGH voltage/ LOW current output. Thus the cutting action.

Keith

Comment

Thanks Kieth, It's too bad they havent got one that can do both, I geuss that would make things to easy hahaha but Thank you for your help and knowledge I appreciate it.

Comment

Hey, wolf: I believe there are machines being sold that can plasma cut as well as weld, but not plasma weld...which is a pretty specialized process, and not found in home shops.
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Hi Hotfoot, How do you switch from plasa cutting to welding??? Is this done by switching the polarity???

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf1750 View Post
            Hi Hotfoot, How do you switch from plasa cutting to welding??? Is this done by switching the polarity???
            Here is your combo machine,stick/tig/plasma........... note the upper middle selection switch

Last edited by Grappletractor; 10-03-2007, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X