How tight is too tight. Regulator connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How tight is too tight. Regulator connection

Got a question. Been years since I’ve done any oxy/acc work. I picked up a small Flame Tech ‘plumbers’ setup at my LWS about a year ago. Victor compatible. Just to do some light bronze brazing and heat for bending in my little hobby shop.

I’ve went thru several bottles of both oxygen and acetylene with no problems. I always check my regulator to bottle connections with soapy water. Anyway awhile back I installed a fresh bottle of acetylene and had a few bubbles. I tightened to the point I was comfortable with but still had the small leak. I visually inspected the threads seats etc before and a couple of times afterward and saw no problems. I installed another bottle and there was no problem.

I took the problem one back to them and they were very nice and replaced it but the guy told me if I had tightened it a little more it would probably have stopped the leak. I politely listened as they were being very good about it but I have the question How Tight is Too Tight on that connection??

Seems to me way over tightening would damage the metal to metal seats??

Thanks in advance.
    Ed
    North Georgia Mountains

Handler 140
    Handler 210 MVP

I've never once checked for leaks. I turn the bottles on, do the job, and turn the bottles off. I "waste" more gas idling the flame than I'll ever leak out a regulator connection during the course of the job.

Are you doing work all day with the bottles on?

Comment

Oh no. Not working all day. Just a little here and there. I rarely use them over a half hour absolute max. Just a little ‘hobby brazing and bending’ here and there.
      Im retired and mostly do artsy stuff for enjoyment.
      And I usually just check the connections when I install a new bottle. Figured it a safety precaution.
      And also I always move the little cart with the bottles back away from the torch flame once I begin. Am I being over paranoid ??
      Again thanks in advance.
      Ed
      North Georgia Mountains

Handler 140
      Handler 210 MVP

Comment

You shouldn't really need to worry about over tightening those connections, whenever I've had leaks I've always been able to tighten them a bit more and get rid of the leak. I would definitely check for leaks after changing bottles especially on the Acetylene bottle.

Comment

Mac and HE I certainly appreciate the responses. Was my first question to the forum. I thank y’all kindly!
          Ed
          North Georgia Mountains

Handler 140
          Handler 210 MVP

Comment

Working...
          X