Torch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch question

my oxy acetylene torch is 15 years old and hasnt been used in 12 years is it still.ok to use? It is a Harris brand small portable kit from Home Depot. It was stored inside. Just had been left at a buddies house where we worked on a couple old trucks and I moved away just recently picked it up. What should I be paying attention to as far as it still being operationally safe? Thanks
    Last edited by Hindsy; 02-23-2020, 01:51 PM.

Start with a visual inspection. Look for obvious signs of damage, abuse, or chemical contamination. If the regulators are not attached, crack cylinders to confirm a useable volume, attach regs, and equipment per standard set up and after insuring adjusting screws are backed out, crack and open cylinders. Check for leaks, adjust pressures. Check drown stream connections for leaks. Light up.
    Some say the newer equipment has a best before date???
    Well..tires do get old but if they still hold air are they that bad? You decide, but if anyone asks, my hoses are a solid 25 years old. I've repaired the hose end once due to the pinch and cracking of a hanging hose weight.

Comment

Thanks old guy... looked em over good today. Oxygen side is good to go. Hoses look fine. I’m assuming either the Acetylene tank was empty when I was done with it and it was put away like that or it leaked. It’s only a small tank I used it heavily on an old ford pickup at the time, so I suppose it was empty. Plus his garage never blew up. Gonna take it down to get it tested and possibly filled or a little larger tank. Tank is a little rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Hindsy View Post
        my oxy acetylene torch is 15 years old and hasnt been used in 12 years is it still.ok to use? It is a Harris brand small portable kit from Home Depot. It was stored inside. Just had been left at a buddies house where we worked on a couple old trucks and I moved away just recently picked it up. What should I be paying attention to as far as it still being operationally safe? Thanks
        Are you talking about this, only an older model?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Harris Portatorch.png Views:	1 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	708147

In spite of other advice, you should definitely replace the hose, especially if you are planning more than one time use. Most neoprene and rubber products may look all right, but become less flexible and prone to cracking with age. ( and, probably only a $25 cost). Then, put on the welding tip, and try balancing gasses to find out how the regulators are working. If you don't know how, do a search on here for directions.
        Last edited by Northweldor; 02-25-2020, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Bend the hose and see if it looks like it's cracking. If so, replace it.

Anyone can do simple regulator testing. This will catch a lot of common problems.

Attach to tank
          Unwind pressure handle until loose
          Open tank valve
          1. Is pressure showing on the high pressure gauge? (should be YES)
          2. Is any gas flowing? (should be NO)
          Close tank valve
          3. Watch high pressure gauge. Does it fall rapidly? (should be NO)
          Leak test using solution
          4. Any leaks? (should be NO)
          Open tank valve again
          Wind in pressure handle until gas just starts to flow
          Block the gas flow with your thumb.
          5. Watch low pressure gauge. Do you see a very low steady reading? (should be YES)

The torch and tips are most likely fine.

The cylinders may need to be hydrotested if they've been sitting for many years.

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
          X