New to toches and have some questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to toches and have some questions

So I purchased a complete oxy acetylene system yesterday at my local welding shop. I got the Smith professional heavy duty torch kit thst came with the 200 torch handle, 209 cutting attachment, rosebud, welding tip, flashback arresters, and then bought the regulators and hose separately. I also purchased #4 tanks for both gasses. The torch package came with flashback arrester but, I don’t know if the install on the torch side ir the regulator side of the hose??
    also, I’ve watched a few videos snd here is what I’ve gathered.
    Turn on the oxygen tank fully, turn on the acetylene tank anout a 1/4 turn. Adjust to 5/6 rule - 5 psi on acetylene and between 40-60 on ixy depending on what I’m cutting.

On the torch handle, the bottom oxy valve is always fully on because you make all oxy adjustments using the top knob closer to the tip.
    So firing it off, i crack open the acetylene valvlr a little and light it, make sure there isn’t any black smoke, have the fire jump off the torch til and then adjust it back to where it’s touching the tip again. Now, start adding oxy until I see the super bright narrow flame just about go away. Now I’m ready to cut?

There are two versions of flashback arrestors, one set fits torch handle only, one set fits regulators only, flow direction arrow on arrester has to point towards torch body that is how its determined where they mount...

Dale
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by BeardMan View Post
      So I purchased a complete oxy acetylene system yesterday at my local welding shop. I got the Smith professional heavy duty torch kit thst came with the 200 torch handle, 209 cutting attachment, rosebud, welding tip, flashback arresters, and then bought the regulators and hose separately. I also purchased #4 tanks for both gasses. The torch package came with flashback arrester but, I don’t know if the install on the torch side ir the regulator side of the hose??
      also, I’ve watched a few videos snd here is what I’ve gathered.
      Turn on the oxygen tank fully, turn on the acetylene tank anout a 1/4 turn. Adjust to 5/6 rule - 5 psi on acetylene and between 40-60 on ixy depending on what I’m cutting.

On the torch handle, the bottom oxy valve is always fully on because you make all oxy adjustments using the top knob closer to the tip.
      So firing it off, i crack open the acetylene valvlr a little and light it, make sure there isn’t any black smoke, have the fire jump off the torch til and then adjust it back to where it’s touching the tip again. Now, start adding oxy until I see the super bright narrow flame just about go away. Now I’m ready to cut?
      Use the search function, and you will find step-by-step instructions for adjusting the torch for both cutting and welding. Also, cutting pressure charts for thickness are usually supplied by each torch manufacturer, and differ slightly, so you will get the most efficiency by using the Smith chart.

Comment

IF instructions did not come with torch set... Drop by local welding supply and see if he has copy of this....

Just try to get latest version...

Dale
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

BeardMan: Welcome to the site. Lots of good information is available here. Do some reading. ~0le
          "If a problem can't be solved, enlarge it." (The 34th president of the United States)

Comment

Start with oxy at 25, it needs just enough to burn thru.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Working...
            X