Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pressure settings Hobart torch with propane

Hi All,

I have a hobart torch and having trouble setting the pressures to allow it to burn correctly. I am running propane and oxy. I intend to use it primarily for heating and bending metal.

The unit I have is this one:
    Oxy/Acetylene Cutting and Welding Outfit

This hobart outfit includes many features found in more expensive outfits. It is perfect for a multitude of applications such as farm, ranch, hobby, automotive, refrigeration, light fabrication and repair. This outfit is designed for use with acetylene fuel gas but can operate on propane by simply changing to propane tips. Cuts up to 3/8" and welds up to 1/8".
      Medium Duty
    I have the braising tip that came with and a rosebud on order.

I've dialed the propane pressure to 10 psi and running about 40 psi oxy. I've fiddled with less pressure etc and as soon as I crack the oxygen it blows out the flame.

A little frustrating. Contacting Hobart for suggestions and the say use the same pressures at acetylene.

Any suggestions?

If using the welding/brazing tip then the flows for a 0 tip should be 5 psi on both Oxygen and Acetylene. If using a cutting tip then the pressures mentioned would be correct for a #3 propane tip.

Keith

Comment

Ouch.... Caused me to look welding/heating chart in my Victor booklet and I now find out I have for 55 years been using "cutting" regulator pressures when just doing general heating or braising....

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Will the gauges screw directly into a propane bottle or is an adapter needed. The valve on the OPD type propane bottles is different from the earlier bottles.

Comment

The regulator for larger Acetylene tanks will.... Both use a CGA 510 thread/coupling to tank valve body...

https://www.concoa.com/cgachart.html

Believe MC (CGA 200?) and B (CGA 520?) cylinders use smaller fitting with different profile...

Dale
          Last edited by Dale M.; 03-05-2018, 03:41 PM.
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

True the regulators for this kit screwed right in

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert Keith View Post
              If using the welding/brazing tip then the flows for a 0 tip should be 5 psi on both Oxygen and Acetylene. If using a cutting tip then the pressures mentioned would be correct for a #3 propane tip.

Keith
              Thanks Keith will give this a try!

Comment

Originally posted by gofast View Post
                Hi All,

I have a hobart torch and having trouble setting the pressures to allow it to burn correctly. I am running propane and oxy. I intend to use it primarily for heating and bending metal.

The unit I have is this one:
                Oxy/Acetylene Cutting and Welding Outfit

This hobart outfit includes many features found in more expensive outfits. It is perfect for a multitude of applications such as farm, ranch, hobby, automotive, refrigeration, light fabrication and repair. This outfit is designed for use with acetylene fuel gas but can operate on propane by simply changing to propane tips. Cuts up to 3/8" and welds up to 1/8".
                  Medium Duty
                I have the braising tip that came with and a rosebud on order.

I've dialed the propane pressure to 10 psi and running about 40 psi oxy. I've fiddled with less pressure etc and as soon as I crack the oxygen it blows out the flame.

A little frustrating. Contacting Hobart for suggestions and the say use the same pressures at acetylene.

Any suggestions?

Are you turning down your propane valve to allow the flame to come back to the torch tip before adding oxygen? (if you do this, you can then add more propane and oxygen until you are at max preheat without blowing the flame out).

Comment

You do know when using propane you have to light the gas first and hold the flame close to metal before turning on the oxy. so you don't loose your flame

Comment

Working...
                  X