No announcement yet.

Suggestions for cutting 2" thick steel with .39% carbon content

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always like the pictures here. They cut some pretty thick stuff making crankshafts for ships.

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides...xford_and_Sons

--- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------
    DialArc 250 (1974), Idealarc 250 (1971), SyncroWave 250 w/Coolmate 3, SP-175+, TA 161STL,
    Lincwelder AC180C (circa 1952), Victor & Smith's O/A, Dayton (Miller) spot welder, 1200 sq.ft. of garage filled with crap and a kid that can actually run the stuff +++

Comment

I've cut plenty of 2" thick steel on a radial graph with a victor torch. A number 2 tip will do it on a track cutter. For hand cutting, I'd go up to a number 3 size tip.
      Set oxygen at 30-35 psi. No need for anymore than that. Cranking your oxygen higher doesn't help blow the melted steel away from the cut, it just messes up the flame.
      Acetylene at 6 psi. No need for more than that.. If your changing your regulator pressures higher than those settings to make it cut, your flame is not set correctly or there is a tip problem with the torch.
      The biggest mistake most inexperienced guys make when Using an oxy fuel torch is they use too much acetylene when lighting the flame. You don't need a big roaring acetylene flame with using a oxy fuel torch. Just a nice steady roll.
      After adding your oxygen you should see a nice defined black line down the centre of the flame with the oxygen lever pressed. If you don't see that black line down the centre of the flame, it isn't going to cut. Either your tip is dirty or your flame is not set correctly.
      With steel this thick, preheating will help your cutting effectiveness.
      Last edited by snoeproe; 03-07-2018, 08:39 AM.
      Lincoln Idealarc 250
      Miller Bobcat 250
      Thermal arc Hefty 2 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cusmaster 52
      Torchmate CNC Table

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
        ...With steel this thick, preheating will help your cutting effectiveness.
        Funny you should say that, as I just wondered about that while looking at the pics that Pop posted. Is that steel preheated? It can't be that hot with the guy standing right next to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
          You got to be careful no matter what you're doing with a torch. I still have the scars from cutting the exhaust studs off of a 69 Cadillac while on a lift ...
          I always wear ear plugs, too, when doing any welding or torching even getting close to an overhead position.

Comment

You can also fab a torch guide as the main reason to use a track torch is controlling tip position and height above your work, with the steady movement useful but secondary. Whatever fits your needs and budget. I love my track torch but could get along without it.

I use a weed burner off a BBQ jug to preheat heavy stock.

BTW if you do get a track torch remember you can do like machinist bro did and use a worm drive hose clamp to hang a plasma cutter torch off the barrel of your gas torch. It takes a little fiddling to get the distance from the workpiece correct but works very well. Beats paying for a straight torch then installing it then removing it for freehand work.
            Last edited by monckywrench; 05-28-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
              This gent has a few interesting videos using a track torch cutting 3.5" thick steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZRbZhehwI
              interesting and he certainly had his fire control figured out

Comment

Working...
              X