Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy propane torch tip getting too hot

Hey guys,
    Just bought a harris oxy propane kit for brazing im a referigeration tech, ive always used oxy acetylene but thought id give propane a go. Loving the performace out of the little compact torch but the **** tip gets so hot! It dosent pop or bang or get hard to ignite but no matter how i set this thing u cant prevent it from getting hot, the guy from harris just keeps saying i need more fuel gas but ive tried everything no matter how i set the torch it just gets hot even in mid air with out heating anything

Is this normal with propane?

Sam, welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA 200

Comment

Originally posted by Sam92 View Post
      Hey guys,
      Just bought a harris oxy propane kit for brazing im a referigeration tech, ive always used oxy acetylene but thought id give propane a go. Loving the performace out of the little compact torch but the **** tip gets so hot! It dosent pop or bang or get hard to ignite but no matter how i set this thing u cant prevent it from getting hot, the guy from harris just keeps saying i need more fuel gas but ive tried everything no matter how i set the torch it just gets hot even in mid air with out heating anything

Is this normal with propane?
      I'm unfamiliar with your setup but do you have propane tip, or attempting to use an acetylene tip with propane? There are differences in flow rate and the propane has higher BTU content than acetylene.
      Thanks for reading/listening.

Antique Hobart Engine Drive Lover X5

Comment

I believe basically you need more fuel/oxygen pressure/volume... Its all about stand off, the tiny gap between torch head and actual combustion point of flame. The standoff caused by fuel flow insulates and cools the the tip from the high combustion temperatures of actual flame..

What pressure are you running regulators at, and how is your flame adjusted...

Dale
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Auto Affair View Post
          I'm unfamiliar with your setup but do you have propane tip, or attempting to use an acetylene tip with propane? There are differences in flow rate and the propane has higher BTU content than acetylene.
          Nah mate i definitely have propane tips they are recessed

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
            I believe basically you need more fuel/oxygen pressure/volume... Its all about stand off, the tiny gap between torch head and actual combustion point of flame. The standoff caused by fuel flow insulates and cools the the tip from the high combustion temperatures of actual flame..

What pressure are you running regulators at, and how is your flame adjusted...

Dale
            Hmm i have tried multiple brazing tips they are the screw in type....i set them to a neutral flame or slightly carborizing, never oxidizing and i usally adjust so i have a whistling sound but i have purposely for a test multiple times tried setting the flame until its howling to the point where it is obviously to much flow but the nozzle and neck still within a minutes use gets really hot

As for pressures on the regs its the harris low pressure torch i followed instructions in the booklet, so it inly needs like 2 psi on the fuel side and 15 to 30 psi on oxy side at the tip, but naturally ive tried it much higher and inbetween and no luck all settings it gets too hot

Comment

Originally posted by M J Mauer View Post
              Sam, welcome to the forum.
              Thanks mate

Comment

Working...
              X