Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intermittent torch hiss issues - help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intermittent torch hiss issues - help!

    We've had a torch in service for a long time, years really, and recently it has started hissing intermittently. Gas pressures are set correctly, in fact, everything looks fine. I changed out the tip, still doing it; changed the torch body - still doing it. Nothing is loose, valves, fittings, etc, hoses are not very old either. As I said, everything looks good, but it will hiss on and off with a neutral flame. I have kids using the equipment every day and don't want any accidents. Any ideas?

  • #2
    Aside from checking anything else obvious, sent the rig to Regulator and Torch Exchange in Georgia.

    https://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/

    There are a few other good O/A repair places in the USA.
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

    Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bc_woodbutcher View Post
      We've had a torch in service for a long time, years really, and recently it has started hissing intermittently. Gas pressures are set correctly, in fact, everything looks fine. I changed out the tip, still doing it; changed the torch body - still doing it. Nothing is loose, valves, fittings, etc, hoses are not very old either. As I said, everything looks good, but it will hiss on and off with a neutral flame. I have kids using the equipment every day and don't want any accidents. Any ideas?
      If you mean an intermittent high-pitched buzz, rather than a hiss, this sounds like leakage in the seats of the torch tip, is causing burnback. This could result from over-tightening the tip retaining nut, and will damage the torch if use is continued. I would stop using, replace the torch, and if this solved the problem, send it in for repair, as suggested.

      Overhauling a torch usually includes refacing these seats.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
        If you mean an intermittent high-pitched buzz, rather than a hiss, this sounds like leakage in the seats of the torch tip, is causing burnback. This could result from over-tightening the tip retaining nut, and will damage the torch if use is continued. I would stop using, replace the torch, and if this solved the problem, send it in for repair, as suggested.

        Overhauling a torch usually includes refacing these seats.
        No buzz, just a hiss (similar to when it is set with excessive oxygen).It will last a moment or two then behave itself, then do it again for a moment. The tip retaining nut is finger tight only. As for the torch, I replaced it, replaced the tip and still it persists.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bc_woodbutcher View Post
          No buzz, just a hiss (similar to when it is set with excessive oxygen).It will last a moment or two then behave itself, then do it again for a moment. The tip retaining nut is finger tight only. As for the torch, I replaced it, replaced the tip and still it persists.
          If you have replaced the torch, then this indicates an intermittent regulator pressure problem. How are the regulators behaving when this is occurring?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
            If you have replaced the torch, then this indicates an intermittent regulator pressure problem. How are the regulators behaving when this is occurring?
            The regulators seem to be fine, no needle fluctuations reported. I didn't watch the needles when it happened, but, just to be safe, I have replaced both regulators this morning. Will see what happens.

            Comment

            Working...
            X