Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flashback arrestor- Rattly-buzzing sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashback arrestor- Rattly-buzzing sound?

Hey guys, I've just set up a Smith oxy-fuel outfit in my garage to do some welding. The flashback arrestor, especially for the oxygen is making a strange rattly buzzing noise. I do leak tests every time I set up so it's definitely not loose or anything. The noise happens inconsistently when the oxygen is flowing, whether the torch is lit or not. I exchanged them once already (what if the guy accidentally gave me the same ones back or something??) and they still make this noise! Am I just noticing it because it's the first time I've set up in a quiet place? Maybe if I was in a big shop with lots of vents I couldn't hear it anyway.... I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this? I've been emailing someone at Smith for help but they are absolutely no. Help. At All. They just told me to keep both gases at 10psi for welding -_- which I won't. And the noise happens at any pressure.

Help!!!

(cont.)

Let me also note that the outfit works fine so maybe this isn't an issue at all? I want to be sure it's safe and not going to blow up on me if I actually get a flashback. I really don't know how I received two defective parts in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura View Post
      Let me also note that the outfit works fine so maybe this isn't an issue at all? I want to be sure it's safe and not going to blow up on me if I actually get a flashback. I really don't know how I received two defective parts in a row.
      Are you sure that you are not just hearing the buzz of the regulators, now that you have a quiet workplace? Can you balance gases with no problem? Also, did you check to make sure that you have low-pressure arrestors, and not the higher pressure (designed for HD cutting and heating, not welding) that have a heavier check-valve spring that opens only at a higher pressure?
      The buzzing noise of a regulator diaphragm is normal, but the check-valves built into your arrestors should open when gas flows and close when it stops. An inconsistent buzz should not be normal for either.
      Last edited by Northweldor; 09-01-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

It's a medium duty kit. Everything came together aside from the arrestors. The rattly/buzz/hum certainly comes from the arrestors which I've installed at the handle. I know this because when I take out the arrestors and run the gas there is no noise whatsoever. They seem to work fine. I've been welding with them installed, just a little paranoid about the sound.

Thanks for responding

Comment

Originally posted by Laura View Post
          It's a medium duty kit. Everything came together aside from the arrestors. The rattly/buzz/hum certainly comes from the arrestors which I've installed at the handle. I know this because when I take out the arrestors and run the gas there is no noise whatsoever. They seem to work fine. I've been welding with them installed, just a little paranoid about the sound.

Thanks for responding
          What is the brand and model name of your outfit and the arrestors? (If it is a Victor or Victor clone, there are arrestors already built in to the handle, and a second set would cause problems).

However, it sounds as if you have faulty check valves, or a set of high-pressure arrestors which are fluttering the check valves on the edge of their pressure range (but, this should clear the noise if the pressure is increased).

Can you balance gases with no problem?

Comment

Working...
          X