MAPP tip with Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAPP tip with Propane

Long story short, bought a new Smith torch outfit from the LWS along with a propane tip. When I started setting it up today I noticed the tip was a MC90-1 which appears to be for MAPP gas instead of the MC40-1 indicated by Smith's charts.

Will this tip work for correctly for propane?

Thanks.

I also thought the Smith torches only had to be hand tight to seal the tips. I had a funny surprise when I lit it on propane alone and the entire tip of the cutting attachment was in a flame. lol I kept tightening the retaining nut bit by bit until it quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
      I also thought the Smith torches only had to be hand tight to seal the tips. I had a funny surprise when I lit it on propane alone and the entire tip of the cutting attachment was in a flame. lol I kept tightening the retaining nut bit by bit until it quit.
      I think, if you check your instructions, it says, "...hand tight AFTER first tightening with a wrench..." or something like that.

If your propane tip is two piece, it should probably work, but I would try to exchange it, since Maap gas burns hotter than propane alone, and the engineering of the tip might be different.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
        If your propane tip is two piece, it should probably work, but I would try to exchange it, since Maap gas burns hotter than propane alone, and the engineering of the tip might be different.
        Other way around, the tip is for MAPP and I'm using propane, but I understand what you are stating. There really isn't a point in exchanging it as the LWS threw it in for free, but I guess I will venture back down there and get a MC40-1.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
          Other way around, the tip is for MAPP and I'm using propane, but I understand what you are stating. There really isn't a point in exchanging it as the LWS threw it in for free, but I guess I will venture back down there and get a MC40-1.

Thanks.
          I understood that, and what I was saying was that a MAAP tip might be drilled smaller and produce too little preheat for propane alone. (you called it a propane, as distinguished from OA, in your first post).
          Last edited by Northweldor; 04-17-2015, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Think a MAPP gas tip and a acetylene tip are one and the same.... Acetylene tips generally have smaller orifices than propane tips as there is a difference in density of the fuel gasses and propane require a bigger tip.... MAPP (which is no longer produced) was developed as a replacement for acetylene there for tips should be of same size and gas density should be same or very close...

Dale
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
              Think a MAPP gas tip and a acetylene tip are one and the same.... Acetylene tips generally have smaller orifices than propane tips as there is a difference in density of the fuel gasses and propane require a bigger tip.... MAPP (which is no longer produced) was developed as a replacement for acetylene there for tips should be of same size and gas density should be same or very close...

Dale
              Actually, it's just the original formula that is not produced, and the substitute is a two-gas combination of propane and another gas (propadiene?) which burns hotter than propane.
              Last edited by Northweldor; 04-18-2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it now distributed by Worthington Industries (mother company) with a product name of MAP-PRO under the brand name BernsOmatic and it is 99.5% propylene and 0.5% propane....

http://www.worthingtonindustries.com...and-torch-fuel

And yes Worthington Industtries purchased BernsOmatic in not to distant past....

Origional MAPP gas was a mixture of methylacetylene (propyne) 54% and propadiene 44% and 2% misc. gasses.

Dale

Comment

I went ahead and used the MAPP tip with propane gas as I needed to get two broken bolts out. I think I had the torch set a bit oxidizing as it melted the bolts a bit. There really isnt many examples on the web about setting a neutral flame with propane and it is a lot different than acetylene, examples where you can actually see something.

Comment

Look to "Lampwork" sites, glass bead makers deal a lot with propane/oxygen flame and flame quality (oxidizing-neutral-reducing).... Its pretty critical to get correct flame to get correct "effect" in the glass art....

Oxidizing flame (oxygen rich) will have sharp blue cone and be a hissing flame and will stand off tip quite a bit...
                    Neutral will have soft blue cone and relative quiet and will barely stand off tip....
                    Reducing flame (fuel rich) will be soft feathery and somewhat yellowish and may contact tip...

Lampworkers stay away for acetylene because it is a dirty flame and leaves to much carbon in glass.... Preferred fuels are combination of "oxygen/propane" and "oxygen/natural gas" (methane) and "air/MAP-PRO" (MAPP replacement)...

Dale
                    Last edited by Dale M.; 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Here's a Smith video about setting oxy/propane. About 5 minutes in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2amO0T3vkQ
                      --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                      -------------------------

Comment

Unfortunately Smith's video like Victor's doesnt show the flame all that well.

Comment

Working...
                        X