Regulator Refurbish/Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regulator Refurbish/Repair

Well yesterday morning I turned on Acetylene tank to find blown diaphragm in Acetylene regulator.... Its Victor SR 260 A ...

Found "genuine" Victor replace/repair kit on line and ordered it.... The process seems straight forward of cleaning any sealing surfaces and just replacing parts that come in kit....

But are there any "gotchas" I need to be concerned with.....

Also going to do Oxygen regulator just for giggles, as this set of regulators is something like 35 years old.... I know, nothing oily near Oxygen regulator...

Also read "liberality" disclaimers and all the legal mumbo-jumbo on commercial regulator rebuilders sites, and it does not bother me....

Just looking for any help to make this process "painless"...

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM.
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

To make it painless just send it off to regulatortorchrepair.com Cheap and excellent work! Getting them apart without damaging the case sucks. You might look into the dangers of O2 equipment repair. Sometimes it is better to leave some work to the pros that have all the right stuff.
    Walker
    Chief slag chipper & floor sweeper
    Ironwood Artistic

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
      To make it painless just send it off to regulatortorchrepair.com Cheap and excellent work! Getting them apart without damaging the case sucks. You might look into the dangers of O2 equipment repair. Sometimes it is better to leave some work to the pros that have all the right stuff.
      I agree, plus it's more trouble than it's worth, since most repair places charge nearly as much for kits as they do for repair. Bills will do a reliable job and return in 7-10 days.

Are you set up for freon cleaning, and nitrogen testing with tools which could be pricey, and are recommended by Victor?

If you are still determined, here's the 250-260 service bulletin:

http://victortechnologies.com/IM_Upl...0Regulator.pdf
      Last edited by Northweldor; 05-25-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

7 months later ....... For reference sake. I just had mine done. With the shipping back and forth my victor oxy gauge cost right around $70!-$75. shipping brass is pricey, it's heavy

Comment

Originally posted by drizler View Post
          7 months later ....... For reference sake. I just had mine done. With the shipping back and forth my victor oxy gauge cost right around $70!-$75. shipping brass is pricey, it's heavy
          I think that is still reasonable, given replacement costs, and risks of e-bay auctions.
          Was that from Bill's or walker's recommendation? Also, what did it cost you to do your own, Dale?

Comment

I think the kits were something like $20 each.... Price will vary by make/model of regulator...

http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/...250-repair-kit

http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/...260-repair-kit

My regulator were pristine inside just had to take a lot of care to separate "slip ring" (#5 in diagram) from old diaphragm what was "glued" (old-time-compression-welded-stuck) to regulator body...

Dale
            Last edited by Dale M.; 01-01-2015, 06:58 PM.
            Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
              I think that is still reasonable, given replacement costs, and risks of e-bay auctions.
              Was that from Bill's or walker's recommendation? Also, what did it cost you to do your own, Dale?
              I sent mine to Bills.

Comment

I sent mine to Bills.
                Just for comparison, how much was the repair, and how much for shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                  Just for comparison, how much was the repair, and how much for shipping?
                  Just spitballing here as I'm now sitting in the Bavarian Alps so can't quite reach the receipt. Offhand it cost me 11 and change to ship it el cheapo rate from Northern NY out there. The bill came to somewhere around 50 and return shipping. All in all it was around 72 to 75 grand total and I didn't get stuck with any of those famous NYS sales taxes.
                  Not all that bad when you consider how heavy that hunk of brass is. I didn't bother checking with the LWS prices around here. Since the only owner owned decent place burned 14 years ago I don't even go there unless I am forced to.

Comment

I'm in California, not the lowest cost place to do business.

I bring my regulators and flow meters to my LWS, they send them out for rebuild. You don't even tell them what's wrong with them, the rebuilder tests everything, and fixes or replaces anything necessary. Typical charge to me is $60 to $70. Max would be $75 or so, that would be when they replace gauges also. Shipping back and forth is built into the price.

Nice thing about the rebuilder my LWS uses, they separate charges into parts, and repair labor. Parts are taxable, repair labor is not.
                    *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I just looked at where you are Calgary. Ouch I'm sure the shipping will be ugly if you have to send it to the states. One nice thing is that if you do you shouldn;t get touched by customs headaches as all work done in US for Canada and vise versa is free of any duties. You should be able just to box it and send it with a customs declaration as it's a Personal and not a Business transaction you are doing.
                      If you do end up taking it to a LWS make ****ED sure you find out how much they are going to ding you for "special handling" if it goes out of the country. The commercial limit ( I worked for us customs for many many years) on having to pay a broker is 2o00 bucks maybe higher now. Funny how some outfits can't seem to resist massaging your pocket a bit for something you can do for free by filling out 3 lines on a form and walking into the post office. I file that right beside the Airgas explanation of 911 causing all this paper work that doubled the price of their gasses overnight. Sure right between the twilight zone and the manure pile. Anyways just price it out both ways and see how it works for you either way. If it's too crazy you might just be better off with the kit for 2o bucks and doing it yourself as long as you are careful. Good luck.

Comment

I just looked at where you are Calgary. Ouch I'm sure the shipping will be ugly if you have to send it to the states. One nice thing is that if you do you shouldn;t get touched by customs headaches as all work done in US for Canada and vise versa is free of any duties. You should be able just to box it and send it with a customs declaration as it's a Personal and not a Business transaction you are doing.
                        If you do end up taking it to a LWS make ****ED sure you find out how much they are going to ding you for "special handling" if it goes out of the country. The commercial limit ( I worked for us customs for many many years) on having to pay a broker is 2o00 bucks maybe higher now. Funny how some outfits can't seem to resist massaging your pocket a bit for something you can do for free by filling out 3 lines on a form and walking into the post office. I file that right beside the Airgas explanation of 911 causing all this paper work that doubled the price of their gasses overnight. Sure right between the twilight zone and the manure pile. Anyways just price it out both ways and see how it works for you either way. If it's too crazy you might just be better off with the kit for 2o bucks and doing it yourself as long as you are careful. Good luck.
                        Sorry for the confusion, but my only interest was in getting the info into this thread, for US consumers, and future reference to this subject, which comes up fairly often. I use a local Air Liquide tech that charges a flat $75 Can. for all regulator repairs except pipe-fittings and guages, and tests all equipment to mfg. stds. Thanks for the extra information!

Comment

Working...
                        X