Hints on cutting up a roadgrader.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hints on cutting up a roadgrader.

I recently had a fire in the forest where I live that destroyed my house and all of my vehicles and equipment that I had stored on my property. I have disposed of about 27 tons of scrapmetal so far, but I have one item left that is kicking my butt. I have an old Austin Western Pacer 300 roadgrader that burned in the fire. We were able to pull the blade, cab, and engine off of it using an excavator. I tried to cut through it with a cutting torch. Everywhere I cut the steel is at least one inch thick and is welded to form a box frame. Other spots it gets much thicker.

Does anyone have experiences that might help out in this area? I have been working on it off and on for two days now. Even the guys doing the demolition work on my house cannot believe how tough this machine is.

That is a pretty big bummer. Sorry to hear about your loss.

What setup are you using? I would think an o/a rig would cut it right on up.

Comment

There should be no problem cutting up a road-grader with either an oxy-acetylene or an oxy-propane rig. Are you using the correct size tip?? For 1" steel, you should have at least a #1 or #2 (Victor tip size).
      *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Hints on cutting up a roadgrader.

I'm using an o/a rig right now. Do you have any hints on gauge setting. I've been setting the oxygen setting at 35 psi and the acetylene at 10 psi. I lost my welding books in the fire, but have looked online to check procedures. It has been a long time since I have cut any steel with a torch, and it shows.

Comment

This may be close.
          Attached Files
          O/A
          DialArc 250p
          A-O Smith A3000
          Lincoln SP 135 w/gas
          And stuff I have lots of stuff.

Comment

Fifelaker, that chart varies from a couple others I have. I wonder what torch/tip type it refers to.

For a regular Victor #2 tip, I'd try 40-45 PSI on the Oxy and 5-6 PSI on the Acet. Hopefully your hoses are large and short enough not to have too much pressure drop.
            --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
            -------------------------

Comment

This is what My latest copy of Victor booklet says about cutting....

Dale
              Attached Files
              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I have no clue as to what tips it is for. I just pulled it off the net. All of my charts were at school.
                O/A
                DialArc 250p
                A-O Smith A3000
                Lincoln SP 135 w/gas
                And stuff I have lots of stuff.

Comment

The neck is liable to have an "I" bean inside the box!
                  I cut one up many, many years ago.
                  We used Oxy-Propane with a tip that would go through 6 inches of steel.
                  The first plate leads to scale between the I beam and it blows back all over you!
                  Just select one piece and patiently work on it.
                  An Acet tip sized for 1 inch will get the job done!

Comment

Get a set of tip cleaners.
                    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Anything that beastly I'd try a 3 or 4 Victor tip, leaning towards a 4. Demolition ain't fab shop work.

If you still have or can get a BBQ LP jug you can run an LP tip and save on acetylene.

Sorry for you loss. I cut down most of the trees around my place and your post is a good reminder to dispose of more of them.

Comment

As a scrap burner for thirty plus years,this is and easy one to cut. Using that small of tip,you sure are a glutton for punishment. I use oxy /propane since its cheaper and I know the tip sizes and pressures off by heart. For oxy/propane........15 lbs of fuel and 125 lbs of oxy using a small #8 tip. NEVER cut with the tip at 90 degrees to the steel,always on a 45 degree to blow rust/dirt before the cut. Put a small weave on while cutting and you should have no problem. Using this method,should take you about and hour to cut the whole thing up for #1 prepared scrap (3 ft and under).Remember that you are cutting scrap and not fitting. As I was taught when I started........If you can see through the cut - its cut

Bill

Comment

While I have never been a "scrap burner", I have noticed most scrap guys use propane, and the serious ones use liquid oxygen tanks. Even once, watched a "scrap burner" using a gasoline torch. Cut fast, but not pretty. I would guess most scrap guys don't care about "pretty", just what is fast and efficient. I have also noticed over the years, most have 3 or 4 foot long torches.
                          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

Working...
                          X