Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between acetylene regulators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between acetylene regulators?

I'm looking at buying a soldering torch that runs on acetylene. I have an O/A setup, so I don't need to buy a tank, but it seems I might have to buy a regulator!

What's the difference between a 30-15-520 regulator and a 101-15? (If that even makes sense?) The Smith 30-15-520 comes with the soldering torch, it's this one

http://www.drillspot.com/products/13...Duty_Regulator

and the one I have is a Lincoln

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1514-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	667320

it came with that portable torch kit from the big box hardwares:

http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/port...ories--welding
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX, air-cooled & footpedal
    Hypertherm 380
    Dinky Ingersoll-Rand compr. w/ line filter and condensation filter
    Lincoln O/A
    Electrolytic derusting tank
    Asstd powertools

Regulator outlet fitting is CGA Connection Outlet 9/16-18LH B in your first link is same as on the regulator included with your portable torch kit from the big box hardwares. 9/16 is outside diameter threads with 18 threads per inch and left hand threads. This is commonly called a size "B" fitting. Your O2 regulator outlet fitting would be same only right hand threads size "B" fitting.

Size "A" fittings are used on smaller torches including Smith Little Torch.
    http://www.littletorch.com/

Comment

Thanks Roger. So if I understand you correctly, my regulator will work fine, it just needs an adapter for the smaller torch's hose. Which is fine because Forney makes them (I searched size A to size B regulator adapter).

The place selling the torch thought that the regulators on O/A rigs didn't have precise enough gas control, or something...they weren't sure, they aren't welders.
      Last edited by bomscho; 04-24-2012, 02:12 AM.
      Hypertherm 380
      Lincoln O/A
      Asstd powertools

Comment

Your regulator should work as good as the Smith regulator for your use. If you have problems with your regulator, only then would I buy a new regulator.

Comment

To close this topic, my regulator worked fine without any adapter. I think someone at one of the shops was confused (not the welders). And the control was plenty precise, notwithstanding what I was told. Funny how badly certain specialties communicate.
          Hypertherm 380
          Lincoln O/A
          Asstd powertools

Comment

Working...
          X