Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amature needs help with Smith Lifetime

Hi,
    I am not a professional by any shot but I have done basic welding, cutting etc.
    I had always used a victor set up but recently received a Smith Lifetime rig when my
    father in law passed away.

I tried to use it but I cannot get a good cutting flame. I turn both the oxy and act. on but get no result
    when I depress the handle. I open the valve up on the lower front and still get not cutting flame when
    I depress then handle.
    I can get a flame but cannot get it to increase oxy output when I depress the handle.
    Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Uncle Clay

Clean cutting tip. Set O2 pressure in according with Smith cutting tip chart. Might not have enough O2 Pressure. Low O2 cylinder pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Clay View Post
      Hi,
      I am not a professional by any shot but I have done basic welding, cutting etc.
      I had always used a victor set up but recently received a Smith Lifetime rig when my
      father in law passed away.

I tried to use it but I cannot get a good cutting flame. I turn both the oxy and act. on but get no result
      when I depress the handle. I open the valve up on the lower front and still get not cutting flame when
      I depress then handle.
      I can get a flame but cannot get it to increase oxy output when I depress the handle.
      Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Uncle Clay
      Is this a three valve (combination welding-cutting) torch? If so, it sounds as though your oxygen hose valve is not wide open (at least 3 half turns).

Comment

Thanks for the replys.
        It is the 3 valve. Two at rear of bbl one for o2 and one for Acty. Then a 3rd one toward the front on the bottom.
        When I light the acty things are good. I can even add o2 and get the flame hotter but the handle for o2 will not increase the o2.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Clay View Post
          Thanks for the replys.
          It is the 3 valve. Two at rear of bbl one for o2 and one for Acty. Then a 3rd one toward the front on the bottom.
          When I light the acty things are good. I can even add o2 and get the flame hotter but the handle for o2 will not increase the o2.
          I assume you have a clean torch set to the correct pressures, as advised above. First, you should light the torch after turning the hose acetylene valve open about 1/2 turn, and continue to open until the flame is blowing away from the tip about 3/8". Second, turn down acetylene hose valve until flame returns to the tip. Third, turn oxygen hose valve at least 2 turns open, with the preheat (3rd) valve completely closed. Fourth, open 3rd (preheat) valve (slowly) until you have a neutral flame. Fifth, press and hold cutting lever while adjusting preheat valve, until you are back to neutral flame.

If you have done that, something else is wrong. Please provide further info.
          Last edited by Northweldor; 03-02-2012, 07:44 AM.

Comment

These Links should provide information you need.

http://www.youtube.com/user/smithequipmentco/videos

http://thermadyne.com/IM_Uploads/Doc...__Sept2009.pdf

http://www.smithequipment.com/produc...atalog2008.pdf

Go to you tube and search for smith cutting torch to see videos showing how to use your cutting torch.
            Last edited by Roger; 03-02-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all of the replys. I will try ya'lls advice and see if anything works.

Comment

Working...
              X