Acetylene valve leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acetylene valve leak?

So I'm doing a job for a guy and took my O/A torches over to his garage mahal and reassebled everything and I smelled acet. Took reg. back off and checked, put back on and still smelled it. Finally figured out it was coming from the valve after opening all the way I couldn't smell anymore. I figured it was a double seated valve. Does this happen often? I was under the impression u were suppose to just open the acet. valve not so much in case u have to shut off in a hurry. One would think that something so dangerous, would not leak. Does the gas co. not replace valves with rebuilt ones each time they fill one? Or do they just wait till someone tells them they have a leaky one? Sounds kinda dangerous to me, considering possible sparks flying around might ignite a hovering cloud of acet.
    Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
    Dewalt chop saw

Check for leaks with some soapy water. It will produce bubbles wherever there is a leak. That valve should not leak at any point of its opening. Any Leak is bad. Do not continue with a leak. Turn tank off, remove regulator, take back to where you got it filled for a free check-up.

Did you by any chance transport it without the protective cap screwed on?
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

[QUOTE=Hotfoot;397311]Check for leaks with some soapy water. It will produce bubbles wherever there is a leak. That valve should not leak at any point of its opening. Any Leak is bad. Do not continue with a leak. Turn tank off, remove regulator, take back to where you got it filled for a free check-up.

Did you by any chance transport it without the protective cap screwed on? [/QUOTE]

Now, you don't think maybe.....
      So little time...So many machine tools.........
      www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
      Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
      Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
      Harris OA
      Too many motorcycles.............-
      sigpic

Comment

Acetylene valve leak?

No I did not transport without the cap. I took regs off and even put plastic caps on the ends. The regs were rebuilt about a year ago. I secured the tanks in the cart upright, never laid the tanks down, never even tipped them. I lifted them up one at a time straight up into truck, with the caps on, put back into cart, secured to cart and then secured to truck. I put regs in front floorboard of truck, (and yes the passenger side) and then reassembled at site. Acet. tank is now leaking from valve. It is about empty, with maybe 75 lbs left in it. I will take it back to the gas co. and have them test it. Thanks for the advise. Happy New Year!
        Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
        Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Originally posted by Eugenius76 View Post
          I figured it was a double seated valve. Does this happen often? I was under the impression u were suppose to just open the acet. valve not so much in case u have to shut off in a hurry.
          Fuel gases do not have backseating valves. They should only be opened enough to achieve fuel flow for safety reasons.

Does the gas co. not replace valves with rebuilt ones each time they fill one?
          Of course they don't, are you serious?
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Until you can take it back...
            LEAVE IT OUTSIDE!
            Do NOT put the leaking cylinder in your shop, garage, or any enclosed space!
            Put it far away from any possible ignition source!
            I live in my own little world. That's OK, they understand me here.

Comment

Was once told they replace the valves after 10 year hydro. They should but don't know if they really do. Tapered pipe thread fittings as used on cylinder to valve joint can only be taken apart and reassembled a few times as each time threads are damaged more.

All the cylinder valves I have seen apart do not have a packing nut that can be tightened to stop valve stem leak. The leak is only stopped with new O-ring or packing washer.

Best to put your regulator on cylinder at dealer and leak check valve stem before taking it home. Other place you see leak is at swivel nut hole for regulator inlet fitting. If your regulator inlet fitting doesn't leak again on 2nd cylinder valve it is OK but if it leaks on 2nd cylinder valve it needs new inlet fitting. Always checking regulator to cylinder valve joint for leaks can help prevent gas leak eroding nipple end at this joint so you need replacement inlet fitting. Over tightening regulator to valve can damage inlet fitting shortening its life.
              Last edited by Roger; 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Always visually inspect inlet fittings before connecting them. Ensure they are clean and the sealing surface is smooth.

Small nicks can leak gas. Don't polish or file damage. Inlet fittings and nuts are cheap.

Comment

...and remember..Anything made by man can fail! New never means "perfect".
                  "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
                    ...and remember..Anything made by man can fail! New never means "perfect".
                    No truer words have ever been written......
                    So little time...So many machine tools.........
                    www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
                    Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
                    Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
                    Harris OA
                    Too many motorcycles.............-
                    sigpic

Comment

How old is the kit? I believe there is a one year warranty on the O/A kits. If you bought it from Hobart, call Customer Service and they will probably send you a new one. They are great like that!!

Comment

No I did not transport without the cap. I took regs off and even put plastic caps on the ends. The regs were rebuilt about a year ago. I secured the tanks in the cart upright, never laid the tanks down, never even tipped them. I lifted them up one at a time straight up into truck, with the caps on, put back into cart, secured to cart and then secured to truck. I put regs in front floorboard of truck, (and yes the passenger side) and then reassembled at site. Acet. tank is now leaking from valve. It is about empty, with maybe 75 lbs left in it. I will take it back to the gas co. and have them test it. Thanks for the advise. Happy New Year!
                        I also have an Acetylene leak. It is a mystery one that I can not trace with bubbly stuff. It is not a constant leak, more like a puff when I'm opening the cylinder valve. At that moment I can clearly smell acetylene and hear a hiss but I can not find any leak with bubbly stuff. I suspected the cylinder valve but no bubbles come out from it. No bubbles from anywhere around cylinder/regulator or regulator/hose connections. Nothing from a torch. There is no sustained leak, acetylene smell goes away after several minutes and don't come back.

So now the only thing I suspect is the nice brand new Victor dual stage acetylene regulator. I suspect it releases a puff of acetylene when I open the cylinder valve and then closes that vent and works OK until the next time.

What makes me suspect it is that I did NOT have this acetylene smell on that very same cylinder and the rest of setup when used the older dual stage Powr-Kraft regulators. Then I got that nice brand new set of very expensive Victor Oxy/Acetylene dual stage regulators. I replaced Powr-Krafts with Victor and now I have that Acetylene smell every time I open the acetylene valve.

I should probably try to put the Powr-Krafts back to check...

Comment

When using leak check solution, shake bottle and apply bubbles at area your checking. Check regulator diaphragm vent holes around between pressure adjustment screw and diaphragm. Apply bubbles at holes before opening cylinder valve.

I have never seen bubbling leak detector solution at threads retaining regulator to cylinder valve. But have seen bubbles at hole on back side of swivel nut away from threads.

Some regulators had relief valve screwed into regulator port to protect LP pressure gage now some regulators have hidden internal relief valve.

Illustrated parts breakdown are available on Victor web site.
                          http://www.thermadyne.com/victor

Comment

I got the luck of the draw with a bottle while back, have to open the valve a couple turns to open. The good news is its about gone, its the bottle that never seems to empty though, its been a pain in the rear. I also have a minor leak or 2, just enough the gage falls in 10 minutes, I should find it.
                            I might use a torch nearly every day, short jobs, I have on cart so am near it and unless I plan on using it in the next few minutes I shut off bottles, its what made that one a pain, wouldn't have been an issue on a manifold. Its so easy in my environment to get distracted and walk away with bottles on, I just made it a real habit. I will tag it or crayon the tank bad valve.
                            Attached Files
                            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Oxygen valve wide open / acetylene valve 1 1/2 turns.

Comment

Working...
                              X