• Show
Clear All

• Petrogen Torch ?

http://www.petrogen.com/

Who is using one out there ?

Seems interesting......
    God Bless America

[

Never heard of it before, I wonder how much it costs. Looks like you have to call
    them to find out.
    Home
    Hobart Handler 175
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC
    with Tig torch and Hi Freq.

Work
    Miller XMT350 CC/CV
    Miller Suitecase 12RC
    Miller Spectrum 1251
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Goldstar 652

Comment

Originally posted by mustang0 View Post
      Never heard of it before, I wonder how much it costs. Looks like you have to call
      them to find out.

A base rig is ~$1100.
      sigpic
      Miller trailblazer 301G
      Miller S22P12 feeder w/ss case
      K&K 300 amp 15' .035-.045 (Bernard)
      Miller HF-251D-1, Weldcraft AC torch pkg
      Hobart HH187
      Harris DLX STLWKR
      O/A & chemolene
      WARNING These stunts are performed either by professionals or under the supervision of professionals. I insist no one attempt, recreate, or re-enact any activities performed.

Comment

Do a search here on it...there was quite a stir a couple of years ago.

Comment

I can buy a lot of acetylene for 100 bucks. My only gas axe use is brazing and loosening rusted bolts. The plasma has taken the place of the torch set.

I woked for a large machinery salvage company for a number of years. They dismantled & scrapped (reduced as Petrogen likes to call it) press lines for the auto makers. I did the hauling but I was always around (to watch....) plus I got to run the cranes when I wasn't holding a steering wheel.

They used phosporus/oxygen lances to cut with. No bottled gas, no bottled oxygen. They used a portable gasoline driven air compressor on wheels (like runs jackhammers) and the lance. The lance is basically a sacrificial length of steel pipe loaded with phosporus rods (like kids sparklers but longer and larger). You use a gas axe to ignite the rods and then you apply compressed air at the back end. The phosporus burns at who knows what temperature with the compressed air driving it but I've witnessed cutting of 3 foot thick, solid steel bolster plates like butter.

They sound like a jet engine (ear protection required) when ignited and it's hotter than **** (fire retardent suits required) but it cuts and cuts fast.

I don't believe the Petrogen can match that. It's not a clean cut, it's dirty but it's scrap.
          So little time...So many machine tools.........
          www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
          Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
          Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
          Harris OA
          Too many motorcycles.............-
          sigpic

Comment

There is a place for the Petrogen, if I was in the heavy scrap business I would consider it, something like shipyard. 100$ in acetylene goes quick, I cut some scrap a while back and was being lazy where I didn't hook up an LP bottle, big mistake.
            http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Most scrappers still use propane. The company I work for (part time, I retired from full time 3 years ago) not only is intwined in a mini mill, but got into the front end as raw material (scrap) processors. They handle the front end, do re-melt and then process the slabs into HR and CR products as well as structural. They are the largest metal recyclers in the country now.

They still run ganged propane and ganged O2 tanks for heavy reduction but the reduction machinery has evolved to the point that most metal can be shreeded and processed untouched by human hands...or cutting equipment.

The gas torch, to them, would be a specialized unit, not considered a general use tool. I'm sure they have looked at it. They tend not to leave any unturned stone in their quest for economy of scale. After all, that's how the business operates.

If I was cutting heavy gage on a regular basis, I would consider one just to eliminate the dissolved acetylene bottle. I'd still need the O2 bottle but I use the plasma for 90% of my cutting now and I'd still need the acetylene for high temperature brazing, which reminds me...I have a job in the shop that needs to be brazed this weekend.
              Last edited by SidecarFlip; 04-17-2010, 09:08 AM.
              So little time...So many machine tools.........
              www.flipmeisters.com

Miller, Hobart & Lincoln TIG/MIG/-
              Hypertherm Plasma (Thanks Jim)
              Plasma-Cam DHC (coming shortly)
              Harris OA
              Too many motorcycles.............-
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SidecarFlip View Post
                I can buy a lot of acetylene for 100 bucks. My only gas axe use is brazing and loosening rusted bolts. The plasma has taken the place of the torch set.

I woked for a large machinery salvage company for a number of years. They dismantled & scrapped (reduced as Petrogen likes to call it) press lines for the auto makers. I did the hauling but I was always around (to watch....) plus I got to run the cranes when I wasn't holding a steering wheel.

They used phosporus/oxygen lances to cut with. No bottled gas, no bottled oxygen. They used a portable gasoline driven air compressor on wheels (like runs jackhammers) and the lance. The lance is basically a sacrificial length of steel pipe loaded with phosporus rods (like kids sparklers but longer and larger). You use a gas axe to ignite the rods and then you apply compressed air at the back end. The phosporus burns at who knows what temperature with the compressed air driving it but I've witnessed cutting of 3 foot thick, solid steel bolster plates like butter.

They sound like a jet engine (ear protection required) when ignited and it's hotter than **** (fire retardent suits required) but it cuts and cuts fast.

I don't believe the Petrogen can match that. It's not a clean cut, it's dirty but it's scrap.
                thermal lances? those things burn at around 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit or more (i think)
                now they use steel rods, not phosphorus.
                Always assume every project you take on will take twice as long and cost three times as much as you estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg View Post
                  http://www.petrogen.com/

Who is using one out there ?

Seems interesting......
                  i think the benefit is that the fuel can be pretty cheap.
                  but, if you want a gasoline-oxygen rig, there are many alternatives, some of which you could build

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxy-fue...tting#Gasoline
                  Always assume every project you take on will take twice as long and cost three times as much as you estimate.

Comment

I have a Petrogen cutting outfit and its OK its more of a gonzo cutting outfit meaning cutting all day such as scrap and heavy demo work .

Comment

Working...
                    X