Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radnor RG45 Rod

Hello Folks,

Being unfamiliar with brazing, I went to my LWS and asked for some low temp brazing rod. He gave me a tube of Radnor RG45 rod. Told me it was for brazing. However, from the information I can find it looks like it is actually a welding rod. Decided the real experts would know so here I am. Which is it? Will it work on a lap joint without having to melt the base metal?

Thanks ,
    Don

RG45 is welding rod. You will need to melt the base metal to use it.
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart T225 Stick
    Hobart Handler 180
    Airco O/A Rig
    ESAB W-200 O/A torch

Comment

Yep, RG45 is mild steel gas welding rod. Score one more for the "experts" at the LWS. From Airgas' website:

"RG45 is a general-purpose, copper coated, gas welding rod used for welding low carbon steels up to ¼" thick. "
      Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Thank you folks. That is what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

Don

Comment

Typical welding supplier for ya. For being people that are supossed to be in the business of welding equipment and material, im supprized how little they know. Ifs its not Mig welding or flux core they seem to have no clue to ANYTHING. The guys by me didnt even know you could weld with a torch, the head sales guy saying, and I quote " Dont you need an electric arc to weld, and anything else is brazing? " I could have soiled myself right there....just couldnt believe it. Is the industrial fabrication world getting this....dumb, or maybe ignorant? I see it in engineering too, where if it wasnt "invented" in the last 10 years, its not any good.
          "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
          Miller Millermatic Passport

Smith, Meco, Harris, Victor, Prest-o-lite, Marquette and even a Dillon O/A torch

Comment

What do you expect with large corporations paying the LWS counter guys next to nothing? You certainly won't get a welding expert for minimum wage.

Comment

Originally posted by weldrwomn View Post
              What do you expect with large corporations paying the LWS counter guys next to nothing? You certainly won't get a welding expert for minimum wage.
              I dunno, the guys at the local airgas here get paid pretty well. I guess its no different then going to the local car parts store and asking the pimple faced "expert" behind the counter if he can tell if your condenser has too much or little capacity based on which side of the points are pitted. Although Im not sure they could answer a question about an ECU either....come to think of it.....what good is the guy behind the counter anymore?

Miller Dynasty 300DX
              Miller Dynasty 200DX

Smith, Meco, Harris, Victor, Prest-o-lite, Marquette and even a Dillon O/A torch

Comment

Originally posted by Aerometalworker View Post
                I dunno, the guys at the local airgas here get paid pretty well. I guess its no different then going to the local car parts store and asking the pimple faced "expert" behind the counter if he can tell if your condenser has too much or little capacity based on which side of the points are pitted. Although Im not sure they could answer a question about an ECU either....come to think of it.....what good is the guy behind the counter anymore?
                Hey, Aero...that's a big jump assuming they have even heard of "points"!!!
                "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Originally posted by Hotfoot View Post
                  Hey, Aero...that's a big jump assuming they have even heard of "points"!!!
                  Yeah thats right....I forgot...

Cars exist before fuel injection
                  Airplanes didnt exist before Tig
                  Everything always came from China
                  People always had cell phones
                  You could never design anything before computers
                  Math is new of course, as well as science
                  Its almost like our whole country is a teenager that thinks dad is stupid!

Miller Dynasty 300DX
                  Miller Dynasty 200DX

Comment

Working...
                  X