how do you store your gauges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you store your gauges?

I was wondering how everyone else stores their regulators when not in use, I have mine hanging above the tanks. Is leaving the tank to reg connector uncovered an invitation to spiders building nests?

I collect plastic caps. Pipe thread shipping caps, JIC fitting caps, flare fitting caps (from a friend that does commercial HVAC... most every piece of equipment comes with these in that business), and so on. When I pull a regulator or hose, caps go on. Even in the case (or maybe especially in the case) for the portable outfit.

Spiders and insects are a concern, but grinding dust and other debris is much more of a concern.
    I may not be good looking, but I make up for it with my dazzling lack of personality

Comment

I know spiders love propane. for some reason they like the smell of it they build nest in the valves and we always have them build nest in the propane grill and it blocks up the gas and we have to take it apart. I have not had a problem with them getting in my other tanks yet though.
      Dylan

Comment

I never take mine off.....unless I am swapping out cyls.
        Don

Go Spurs Go!!!!!!

Comment

You can also buy metal screw on caps.

I have habit of very short cracking of cylinder valve to blow out crud before attaching regulator.
          This is from charging scuba tanks that could have water in valve and cause pin holes if not blown out of valve before charging. A buddy's scuba regulator had much less internal corrosion problem because he always rinsed his regulator while attached to valve then blew cap dry before installing on regulator.

Comment

Good old fashioned duck tape over the ends

Wheelchair

Comment

My regulators stay connected to the tanks also. I could cover them when they're not in use, but, I use my welding outfits often enough that the spiders don't have much of a chance to spin their webs around them. Woe to the spiders that attempt to do that!

LarryL

Comment

I throw them in the gang box with the torch, and the hose
                "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
                Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
                Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
                Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
                HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
                More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

My dad gave me a pair of victor 450 series and the fits had been covered with elec. tape for years. Makes for a sticky mess but done the job. I would try to find some plastic caps much less mess..
                  Hobart 140 Victor O/A 450series Milwaukee sawzall Drill press Chinese sandblaster
                  Dewalt chop saw

Comment

Welding supply should have plastic or brass caps you can buy. Western Enterprise brand is sold by most dealers.

Plastic bag secured with twist tie, tape or rubber band works. I sometimes use small square of aluminum foil.

Comment

hmm. i have a few plastic caps i could sell you no but did you get the regulators new? when i got mine they came with plastic caps on them.

Last edited by migwelder05; 01-20-2009, 04:30 PM.
                      Dylan

Comment

Store them

On the regs on the bottles. I only remove them if the bottle is empty.

Comment

I would never, ever, under any circumstances, put any tape, or anything other or else that might leave a residue, of any kind, on an oxygen fitting.
                          *** Disclaimer ***

As I have no wish to toy with anybody's life, I suggest you take this and all other posts with a certain amount of skepticism. Carefully evaluate, and if necessary, research on your own any suggestions or advice you might pick up here, especially those from my posts, as I obviously haven't the skill and experience exhibited by some of the more illustrious and more successful members of this forum. I'm not responsible for anything I say, as I drank toxic water when young.

Comment

I leave my gauges on all the time unless swapping out a cylinder.
                            Miller 140 A/S
                            HF Flux Core
                            Dewalt Chop Saw
                            Smith O/A Torch
                            Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Likewise, I leave my shop setup installed unless changing cylinders. I do have extras though and I keep them in a drawer with plastic caps on the openings.
                              Scott

Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
                              Miller 22 A wirefeeder w/Bernard 400A Q-gun
                              Miller 30A Spoolmatic/WC-24 Weld Control
                              Hypertherm Powermax 30
                              CK 210 torch / WP-18 torch
                              Victor, Harris O/A cart
                              4"x6" Enco bandsaw on raised cart
                              Dewalt Chop, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X