Oxy/Acetylene tanks value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxy/Acetylene tanks value

Hello all. I am a newbie here. Been lurking for a while. I am looking to buy a set of O/A tanks. Found someone on Craig List with 2 sets. Says they were in his shop when he bought the place. He said they are medium size. He doesn''t know much more about them or how much he wants ($$$) but he wants to sell them. I am going to see them on Monday.

What should I look for and what do I need to know? How much should I offer him and what should I pay? Do tanks require titles or other paperwork to get them filled? What else do I need to know??? I am also looking for a set of torches. Any opinions on a Victor Firestorm (?) kit.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Its all going to depend on whether you can get them filled locally...That is- are they still "in date", and are they 'owner tanks". I'd get him to ride with me to a local fill spot (Welding Supply), with the agreement that if they will accept them for filling, you'll buy them on the spot. Tanks don't have 'titles', and frequently tanks bought from estates and auctions lack any "proof of purchase"...but you DO need to make sure they didn't belong to some shop, and were left behind because they have past due charges on leases or rentals (happens all the time), which is the reson for the trip to the shop.
    I doubt they'll last until Monday.
    I'd try $100.00 for both. 'medium sized" should be about 3 feet tall, and 7" in diameter...and are as small as you want to go. The O2 tank should be about 3 x the size of the Acetylene tank, but that tank will often 'look different' because they frequently have a collar on the top of the tank-to further protect the valve on this highly explosive gas. Oxygen is not a combustible gas...but highly supports combustion.
    Make sure you get the screw on transport caps for each...they are costly (about $10.00 each), and its illegal (and unsafe) to transport tanks without them attached.
    Do not lay the Acetylene tank down'''ever. It must be transported upright. It is illegal to carry either inside the passenger compartment of a car, so the LWS may not let you leave with them (liability) if that's how you carried them in.

A pair of good, in date tanks of 120 cf. or more (the O2) on a cart go for about $200.00-$250.00 here...and you often get some old torches and hose in the deal...take everything you can get! in the deal!.
    Last edited by Hotfoot; 12-06-2008, 11:13 PM.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Looked at the tanks today. Two oxygen (225) and two Acetylene (125?). One out of date. All owner tanks. Offered him $100.00 and he loaded them in my truck for me. Hope I did OK...???

Bob

Comment

You done good!
        "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Great deal buddy

Comment

Yeah, you did REAL good.

Comment

Working...
            X