Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad regulator

Hi all,

I'm a newb with my oxy/acetylene torches, and think I may have damaged my oxygen regulator, wanted to check with y'all. Before reading the proper usage of the system, I assumed the regulator should be all the way screwed in, opposite of what it should have been, and opened the tank for a bit, pressure just went all the way up.

Now, I open the oxygen tank half a turn, wait a bit until the cylinder settles on the regulator, open the tank fully, then slowly screw in the regulator and set it to ~30PSI. Problem is, the darn thing slowly rises and won't stop, it'll peg the needle if I don't blow out some oxygen. It won't stay at the pressure I set it to.

Something I'm doing wrong, or damaged regulator?

Thanks!
    Last edited by davejcb; 11-29-2008, 03:21 AM.

Yep, your regulator is damaged.
    Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Any idea if these can be repaired?

Thanks!

Comment

Dave they can be rebuilt for $80.... mine did the same and I got the parts etc for less than $20....but be very very careful when messing with oxy. as the oil from your skin will ignite from the oxy. pressure then the tank COULD go BOOOOOOM
        George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
        If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
        Thomas Paine
        Fear is temporary, regret is forever
        HH210 w S.G.
        Victor/Uniweld O/P
        Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

Originally posted by davejcb View Post
          Any idea if these can be repaired?

Thanks!
          Depends on the regulator. If it's a name brand, more than likely. If it's an Asian import, probably not.
          Trailblazer 302 * Millermatic 212 * Syncrowave 180SD * X-Treme 12VS Feeder * Spoolmate 3035
          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Plasma * Lincoln 175 MIG

Victor Superrange II * Victor Journeyman

Hobart HH 125EZ

Comment

Had that happen before and decided to try and fix it myself......Remove the regulator and put it a vice (with soft jaws) and unscrew the large cover nut...you should see a needle valve(that's what's leaking) I think it's a 9/16 wrench size. Remove and inspect the fiber seal. You will have to replace it if it's got a groove worn into it...(Good luck finding one) But that's what's wrong with the regulator....
            Some people require more attention than others.....Like a LOST DOG and strangers holding out biscuits....

Dynasty 350
            Hobart Beta Mig 200
            Twenty seven Hammers
            Three Crow Bars
            One English Springer Dog

A Big Rock

Comment

Originally posted by davejcb View Post
              .....I assumed the regulator should be all the way screwed in, opposite of what it should have been, and opened the tank for a bit, pressure just went all the way up.
              NEVER screw a regulator in all the way!!! I suggest you take it to a welding supplier and get this one rebuilt, then go find an instructor of some sort before you try again.....obviously you are very new at this and we don't want to hear of your learning in the newspaper.

Comment

This is whats known as "creep" There is either a particle on the seat material surface or the surface is slightly worn.
                Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X