Need a low cost torch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a low cost torch

Like the title says, just for ocasional use. A little cutting and heating now and then.

Is something like this okay?

http://www.toolsnow.com/browse.cfm/4,558.html

Its hard to argue with 99$ and it will likely work, I would say there is some gamble factor with it though. Torches are a good investment and very competitively priced usually by vendors who have some interest in the bottle business so markups are slim and you really get value, also when comparing it to the cost of bottles saving another 100 or so on junk is rather insignificant. But again, 99$, you could always sell it for scrap at some point if it didn't pan out, but then you are back at the beginning again. I am occasionally surprised, some cheap stuff does work well but it can be hit and miss.
    http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

The torch and gauges are the least expensive part.

Gas cylinders cost big time, and if you don't buy big enough, you can't do much real work in the cutting and heating department.

I'd recommend oxy-propane as the lowest cost alternative. Your $99 rig will work OK for light use, and a 20# propane jug is about $35 compared to $200 for a #4 acetylene tank.

You'll still be out arond $200 for a decent size (150 cf) oxygen cylinder.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      MM 210 w/3035, BWE
      HH 210 w/DP 3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
      Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

I did not see any mention of back-flow or flashback preventers. For the occasional/new user these would be a good safety item.
        Blacksmith
        Stickmate LX AC/DC
        Big cheap (Chinese) Anvil
        Hand cranked coal forge
        Freon bottle propane forge
        HH 210 and bottle of C25

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith View Post
          I did not see any mention of back-flow or flashback preventers. For the occasional/new user these would be a good safety item.
          I agree, but I haven't seen a new-in-the-box handle in recent years that didn't have checks and arrestors built in.

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

If you're on a budget, the pawn shops are the only place to buy torches/gages, if your not on a budget it's still the best place to buy. Leave the chinese junk to people who enjoy owning chinese junk. Buy a high quality old school Victor torch/gages at your friendly local pawn shop for nickles on the dollar. Even if they're boke, get em fixed and still be dollars ahead.
            You can pass on high quality oxy-acy equipment to your kids and grandkids. Cinese junk is just that, junk.

JTMcC.

Comment

I agree 100% with JT, I got an old Victor 315 at a pawn shop for 20 bucks, a couple O rings later and it has been on my truck for almost 5 years now. Don't buy a crap torch, you will end up throwing it out only to buy a good one.
              "Weld It And You Won't Be Screwed"
              Rescued from the boneyard SA-250 on a fully equipt trailer (My Wife's Explorer cries every time I hitch up)
              Trailblazer 301G (can't touch the SA-200 for stick)
              Arcair K-4000 A.K.A "The Hissing Cobra"
              HF- 251 TIG box for the TB with a Weldcrap torch, Yes I weld aluminum
              More than a toolbox full of stuff on an F-350 that is way to small

Comment

I saw several Victor Firepower sets on eBay NIB for around $155. This would be a much better deal than a clone.

Comment

Also check your local Craig's List or classifieds, you sometimes can get the whole thing with bottles at a resonable rate..
                  Miller 140 A/S
                  HF Flux Core
                  Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Smith O/A Torch
                  Ryobi Grinder, Craftsman & HF Grinders

Harley Electra Glide Classicsigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the advice.

For tanks, I just planned on doing the exchange thing like with my mig tank. But I haven't priced that out yet.

I'd rather go new, since I don't know much about these things to fix what may not work right.

I'll check into that Firepower set.

Comment

Working...
                    X