Toy cylinders--what they are good for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Did you find the Consumption rate of the heating tip in your Versa Torch kit?
    Nope. It is probably classified But even without official data I can tell it is much higher than 1.43SCFH that is maximum for 10cf cylinder according to 1/7th rule, less for 1/10th.

However there is official data for MC12-0 cutting and MW605 welding tips that Smith includes in their Tag-A-Long kit. Those are 6SCFH each that is too much even for 40cf "B" cylinder.

All this is a grey area. Nobody says nothing--they don't say it against the rules but they don't also say it follows rules. No info, nothing. And I'm pretty sure nobody from Smith, Harris, Victor whatever will answer this question. I did try and had no reply. Any reply, less for clear statement in writing. And I'm 100% sure they would come up with that 1/7th rule right away if something happened and somebody sued them.

I've just bought a propane tank at Borg...

Comment

So far, I have had the same "no response" in this round of questioning, even from Hobart. (I'll probably be banned now. It was nice knowin' y'all. )

dave
      Still building my new old truck - see the progress!
      http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/65...-coe-idea.html
      http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ad.php?t=27017

Square Wave TIG 200 - Woot!
      MM180
      SP125+

Comment

Originally posted by whateg0 View Post
        So far, I have had the same "no response" in this round of questioning, even from Hobart. (I'll probably be banned now. It was nice knowin' y'all. )

dave
        Eh, that is probably the end of this thread... Conspiracy...

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
          Did you find the Consumption rate of the heating tip in your Versa Torch kit?
          Just FYI -- today I've got that information from Smith. Consumption rate is 17 CFH for each gas, both oxygen and acetylene. That is not just more that 1/7, it is almost twice the cylinder capacity...

Comment

Hi

As a non welder who has yet to own an oxy acetylene kit for 12 hours I will try and arbitrate:

if we think of a 12-volt battery that goes in a car, it is not meant for prolonged discharging. However, this is the battery we want because it is better at giving instantaneous amperage for the starter then a deep cycle battery would be. Of course we all know the deep cycle is better at prolong discharging.

This is where I think I'm going to have to come down on the side of those that say you can't use a rose bud on a 10 cubic foot container at any given time. This is also true for batteries: you can't put 300 amps on a 40 amp hour battery and expect it to perform: unless that amperage is only used for about 20 seconds to start a car.

This is what I'm hoping with the rosebud I bought: I essentially have 4.28 minutes before I'm in violation of the 1/10 rule. I will just have to pray this is long enough to heat 1 and 1/2 inch thick by 2 square inches pitman arm to separate the drag link.

Spending $2,000 on a legit set up was just out of the question with my current finances. I think I still had the by the gas after spending this $2,000 that I was quoted. I wish I knew propane and oxygen could do heating. I got a BBQ tank that's 15 years old and still has gas in it. I use it with a torch attachment to kill weeds and for healing ragbag trucking company stocker signs off the doors of my rig.

Comment

Originally posted by ScardyCat View Post
              Hi

As a non welder who has yet to own an oxy acetylene kit for 12 hours I will try and arbitrate:

if we think of a 12-volt battery that goes in a car, it is not meant for prolonged discharging. However, this is the battery we want because it is better at giving instantaneous amperage for the starter then a deep cycle battery would be. Of course we all know the deep cycle is better at prolong discharging.

This is where I think I'm going to have to come down on the side of those that say you can't use a rose bud on a 10 cubic foot container at any given time. This is also true for batteries: you can't put 300 amps on a 40 amp hour battery and expect it to perform: unless that amperage is only used for about 20 seconds to start a car.

This is what I'm hoping with the rosebud I bought: I essentially have 4.28 minutes before I'm in violation of the 1/10 rule. I will just have to pray this is long enough to heat 1 and 1/2 inch thick by 2 square inches pitman arm to separate the drag link.

Spending $2,000 on a legit set up was just out of the question with my current finances. I think I still had the by the gas after spending this $2,000 that I was quoted. I wish I knew propane and oxygen could do heating. I got a BBQ tank that's 15 years old and still has gas in it. I use it with a torch attachment to kill weeds and for healing ragbag trucking company stocker signs off the doors of my rig.
              First off where are you located, $2000 is quite a bit high for setup.... As for the 1/10 rule use its a calculated "standard", but I suspect in reality you can get a lot more time drawing off acetylene (propane) cylinder than the standard accounts for ...

And for your 15 year old propane cylinder, has it been recertified since it was manufactured, initial certification for new tanks is 12 years (in most places) and they have to be recertified after that before they can be refilled...
              Last edited by Dale M.; 07-03-2021, 12:22 PM.
              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

First off where are you located, $2000 is quite a bit high for setup.... As for the 1/10 rule use its a calculated "standard", but I suspect in reality you can get a lot more time drawing off acetylene (propane) cylinder than the standard accounts for ...

And for your 15 year old propane cylinder, has it been recertified since it was manufactured, initial certification for new tanks is 12 years (in most places) and they have to be recertified after that before they can be refilled...
                "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                X