At it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At it again

I'm going to set up a welding spot for myself outside, and it's winter (as you hopefully know). I've got the oxy acetylene set up, and i was wondering if i'd have to take it all inside each time I finished. Would leaving the regulators and torch and cylinders out there damage them? It's covered, in that it has a ceiling, but it's got a lot of space where air can get in. I'm going to have to leave the cylinders out there.

I should know this but i don't. Brass doesn't rust, of course, but i'm thinking there's a lot more than that involved.

thanks for the help

metallurgy
    Metallurgy

Can't see why it would be any worse than a welding truck. Better, actually, because you can throw a tarp over the rig when not in use.
    "Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

Right on... I think the plan is to leave it down there.

It leaves the problem of theft, but they probably will have a hard time with the left handed threads.

And they aren't going to get away with the cylinders. 80 lbs (oxy) and a long way to carry them.
      Metallurgy

Comment

You didn't say this was security situation. there are lots of ways you can secure them, but almost no way to "Theft Proof" them if its a remote location. My first thoughts for that are a simple concrete block little shed type structure just big enough for the tank/regulators, hoses, etc. Your roof could be plate with lots of cross bracing welded across the inside, same foe the door. The Discus lock inside a pipe (this was someone else's) makes a very nice door lock. Scrounge your plate and steel, and the blocks and floor won't run you much.

"Good Enough Never Is"

Comment

the plan

That looks really safe, but this is in a smaller structure that i think is safer than the last one. It's a wooden structure (bad way to start it) with 8ftx8ft welding blankets on all four sides and a steel and drywall covered floor. and the ventilation comes through the roof, which is slanted and all the other spaces are filled with wire mesh.

I don't know if there are other dangers associated with welding in a small space like this but i think it will be okay...
          Metallurgy

Comment

Working...
          X