Hobart OXY/Acetelyene Welding set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart OXY/Acetelyene Welding set

After getting a few worn out or misrepresented welding sets off of Evil-Bay, I bit the bullet and got a new O/A welding set. Hobart which we know is not in the O/A business but does market products from a sister division; Smith Equipment. I picked the set up from Rural King for $162 plus tax. It looks like a nice set and it is made in the USA!!!

My needs are not heavy duty cutting or welding and I cannot pull off getting a TIG welder or a plasma cutter past old eagle eye so this set will probably work just fine. The only thing I need now is some flash back arrestors and a few more tips. I plan to cut up to 1/2" steel and weld some aluminum and steel occasionally.

Just kidding about old eagle-eye, she's in the hospital after back surgery and we both agree the TIG and plasma cutter come after some of the other toys are thinned out first.
    Mike in Fort Wayne
    DeWalt Grinders /// Atlas 618 lathe/Atlas Mill/Shaper
    Snap-On Roll Cab & tools
    Wet & Dry Sandblasters /// IR 5hp air compressor
    24X32 shop - my space

Funny how the old eagle-eyes keep us pack-rats at bay. Hope all is well.

Is that the 15730 "medium duty" torch set? I've been eying those for some time now, and the 15731 "heavy-duty toolbox" set. As long as "Made in USA" doesn't mean "Upper Slovenia Area"
    --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
    -------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
      I've been eying those for some time now, and the 15731 "heavy-duty toolbox" set. As long as "Made in USA" doesn't mean "Upper Slovenia Area"
      Or "Upper South Asia"

Seems to be where my stuff always comes from............
      I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!

'Red' Powcon 300ST (no torch yet)
      (ok, not really a 'Red'... )
      'Blue' Miller 35 (older than me and runs great), Thunderbolt AC arc (ditto)
      'Craftsman' AC arc (who made this originally?)
      O/A x 2 (both smaller than I'd like)
      14" Milwaukee chopper
      20t HF press (crap, but works)
      Buffalo forge w/ blower
      Alot of pumps!

"All of us know more than any of us."- TexHand

Comment

Originally posted by usmcpop View Post
        Funny how the old eagle-eyes keep us pack-rats at bay. Hope all is well.

Is that the 15730 "medium duty" torch set? I've been eying those for some time now, and the 15731 "heavy-duty toolbox" set. As long as "Made in USA" doesn't mean "Upper Slovenia Area"

Yes, it was the medium duty torch set. I looked at the heavy duty set and I think the only differences were with the gauges, but for the extra $50 I couldn't justify it besides, I really didn't need another plastic tool box to get rid of.

As far as made in USA goes, it sure does gripe me about all the chicom crap we are getting over here. In another year or so, we will be getting Chinese cars made in Mexico and sold in the USA via another great NAFTA deal your government gave you and guess what?? No duties on these cars and yes, they will sell for $8-10K. Hang on baby it is going to be fun!!!

The real party however is when the Chinese start coming over here and buying everything in sight so that they can get rid of all the funny wally world dollars we keep giving them. That's o.k., we have the best government money can buy and they will take care of us!!!
        Mike in Fort Wayne
        DeWalt Grinders /// Atlas 618 lathe/Atlas Mill/Shaper
        Snap-On Roll Cab & tools
        Wet & Dry Sandblasters /// IR 5hp air compressor
        24X32 shop - my space

Comment

Mike,

Arrestors are readily available at your LWS, or at nearly every on-line vendor.

Smith "mix-in-the-tip" technology greatly reduces the chance for a flashback. Still, it's probably a good idea to invest in a pair. Certainly cheap enough!

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Working...
          X