Super RangeII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super RangeII

Picked up a Super Range II outfit. Picking up the bottles before this weekend. What size Acetyline cylinder do I need to run a rose bud? (you know, enough volume to stay out of the acetone)
    TIA, Tom

Originally posted by Tvogel View Post
    Picked up a Super Range II outfit. Picking up the bottles before this weekend. What size Acetyline cylinder do I need to run a rose bud? (you know, enough volume to stay out of the acetone)
    TIA, Tom
    A #6 rosebud wants 40 CFH at full tilt. That would mean 7 x 40 = 280 CF. cylinder size.

A #4 wants 20 CFH at full tilt. 7 x 20 = 140 CF.

A #4 C²H² cylinder holds 126 CF of gas.

For general heating of large objects, I use propane. A 500,000 BTU weed burner works great. For smaller stuff, I just use a #4 welding tip.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    MM 210 w/3035, BWE
    HH 210 w/DP 3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
    Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

A #6 comes with the kit. I wont need it that often, but Id like to use it if I need it. Ive got a propane heating torch here at work, but it has to stay at my business. The super range is for home, so its just for hobby/fab work.
      Should I go for the larger cylinder? Or No?

Comment

A #6 comes with the kit. I wont need it that often, but Id like to use it if I need it. Ive got a propane heating torch here at work, but it has to stay at my business. The super range is for home, so its just for hobby/fab work.
        The numbers say yes, go with a larger cylinder. This is one thing you dont want to push, drawing acetone into the regulator and hose can cost you a lot more then a larger cylinder would. Perhaps do what hank said, get a propane tank and a propane rosebud to avoid the problems and not waste the $ on acet if your just heating. I use both in my shop. Be safe!

-Aaron
        "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
        Miller Millermatic Passport

Smith, Meco, Harris, Victor, Prest-o-lite, Marquette and even a Dillon O/A torch

Comment

You can get away with pulling more than 1/7th of the tank volume for a little while, but I don't know how long. Before I knew about the rule, I ran a #4 welding tip pretty much wide open for 5 minutes on a 40 cubic foot acetylene bottle with no ill effects.

Still, that's a far cry from running a #6 bud at full tilt on a 40! You can run the rosebud at reduced heat, but the problem is that multi-flame appliances like rosebuds don't like to run a low ens. They tend to backfire.

Unless you plan to be welding some big stuff that needs beaucoup heat, I'd just pop for a weed burner kit and use the BBQ tank!

Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          MM 210 w/3035, BWE
          HH 210 w/DP 3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange
          Avatar courtesy of Bob Sigmon...

Comment

Working...
          X