Wire Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Feed

Just found and read many posts on this forum. enjoyed them all. I am an advanced age hobby welder, 125 Handler with gas, My problem is wire won't advance. I have eliminated all reasons I can think of.. I fed wire back through from tip to spool and left a foot of wire loose. Still won't feed. It's like the rollers aren't gripping the wire. Feed roller shaft is slightly loose with roller off, is this normal? At my wits end!
    Last edited by regwal; 09-13-2022, 03:57 PM.

Originally posted by regwal View Post
    ...Feed roller shaft is slightly loose with roller off, is this normal?...
    Can you explain this a bit more? Here's a pic of a typical drive assembly. You need to screw the tension down until you have the rolls firmly in sufficient contact pressure of the wire. Your manual should describe this procedure. You can download your manual using the "Support" link at the top of the page.

Comment

Are you sure of proper drive roller for size of wire you are using....Or if it is a multi groove (latest 3 groove ) feed wheel have you got it indexed properly.....
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	hobart feed roller.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	715145Tension is greater than before, not sure there is any left. With feed roller removed I can wiggle shaft slightly. Looks like with door closed the shaft is supported and should not be a problem. I went from .030 to .023 to see if roller would grip wire but didn't make any difference. I have used from current wire spool (1/2) so assume it is ok. I have no way of checking that diameter. I can see the feed roller turning but can't tell about the tension roller. When gate isopened up it turns freely though. I've been scratching my head over this and trying things three days with no answers yet. DANG !!! ​

Comment

I should know this but I don't. should the wire touch feed roller with gate up? My wire is up about 1/16 inches Wire doesn't seem to touch even when tension roller is positioned to operate. Not sure how to change if needed. I'm begonnong to suspect the wire tube also even though I can push wire back and forth.Click image for larger version

Name:	hobartfeedroller2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	715153

Comment

Space between roller and wire looks off.... On my HH140 the wire almost lays in the groove with almost no space... I your picture it almost looks like roller assemble has shifted downward away from wire, or for some reason wire guides have shifted upwards...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.8 KB ID:	715155

Comment

Closest welder repair shop is 75 miles away, heading there this morning. I don't see anyway to adjust the roller up or down. Welder worked fine last time it was used. There may be some sdjustment on wire guide but don't want to open a bigger can of worms. I hope it isn't the drive motor assembly. Nothing would surprise me at this point. I may be out of hobby welding if it is.
              Last edited by regwal; 09-21-2022, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I kinda feel like a dunce after visiting the repair shop. By the way the only welder repair shop in Jacksonville FL area. After two days and many calls a welding supply house gave me their phone number. There must have neen over 200 welders on site for repair, mostly pull behind and large stationary units. I text a picture (pervious post) while driving down. Arriving a guy came to truck saying he looked at the text, while he opened cover. !0 seconds later he said it was fixed! Unit was taken inside and poweed up. It worked fine. Problem was the feed roller cover was not locking property. He filed it down a little later and all is fine now. I should have known this.......now I do! IN MY DEFENCE HE SAID IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR IT WOULD BE MISSED. Bought him lunch! Click image for larger version  Name:	hobart feed roller cover.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.3 KB ID:	715160
                Last edited by regwal; 09-22-2022, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Love a happy ending.....

Comment

Thank you very much for coming back here with the resolution, and we are very glad to hear you are up and running!

Comment

Working...
                    X