Hobart Handler 140 Set Up-Screw iup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 140 Set Up-Screw iup

I am new to the forum here, (I just joined last weekend) and other than watching other people weld, new to welding, too. As I said in introducing myself the other day, I received a Hobart handler 140 for a retirement gift, some years ago. For whatever reasons, I never got around to doing a thing with it. I decided I was going to learn to use it. So I found a set up video on YouTube, and as far as setting up the actual welder, with the gun and the spool of wire, and the polarity on the cables and the ground clamp, that all went well, (and I know I should have gotten advice at this point), there was very little on the shielding gas connection.So I hooked up to the tank of gas, and I connected the gas line to the welder itself OK. but I screwed up when I turned the t-screw valve clockwise, and opened the valve on the tank. I know now, I should have turned the t-screw counter clockwise, before opening, and then clockwise to get somewhere around 25-30 lbs of line pressure? The line pressure guage is now pegged, and doesn't move, so I believe I ruined that? Did I also ruin my regulator? I can buy a new regulator and guages and hose for $80 through CyberWeld.com, so it was bad enough, but not too costly of a mistake. But where could I find out if the original regulator is still good? Also, on the original regulator there is a pressure relief valve port that I don't see on the newer replacement models?

Regulators can be repaired. Might be less expensive than new....

Might inquire with these people.... They helped me when a acetylene regulator went wonky for me...

https://regulatortorchrepair.com/

Just be aware the low side gauge is calibrated CFH (cubic feet hour) and not PSI....

Rule of thumb is for "T" handle on regulator to be backed off fully (counter clockwise) as you open tank valve .... Then you bring up pressure on out put side (gauge) by turn in "T" handle (clockwise) till you get desired reading on gauge... When done you turn off tank valve and bleed off the pressure and then back off the "T" handle (counter clockwise)...

This is standard procedure for diaphragm type regulators whether it be argon, C25, or oxygen or acetylene....

And now the big lie, I never back off my regulator... Guess I been lucky for the last 8-9 years....
    Last edited by Dale M.; 09-13-2022, 09:53 AM.
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      Regulators can be repaired. Might be less expensive than new....

Might inquire with these people.... They helped me when a acetylene regulator went wonky for me...

https://regulatortorchrepair.com/

Just be aware the low side gauge is calibrated CFH (cubic feet hour) and not PSI....

Rule of thumb is for "T" handle on regulator to be backed off fully (counter clockwise) as you open tank valve .... Then you bring up pressure on out put side (gauge) by turn in "T" handle (clockwise) till you get desired reading on gauge... When done you turn off tank valve and bleed off the pressure and then back off the "T" handle (counter clockwise)...

This is standard procedure for diaphragm type regulators whether it be argon, C25, or oxygen or acetylene....

And now the big lie, I never back off my regulator... Guess I been lucky for the last 8-9 years....

Thank you, Dale. I appreciate the info. A friend of mine told me the same thing (the big lie). He said he shuts the tank off and leaves the line at his last setting.

Comment

I don't adjust the "T" handle usually but if changing tanks it is SOP!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Doty View Post
          ...The line pressure gauge is now pegged, and doesn't move...
          The needle only moves while gas is flowing. You should only adjust it while it's flowing, especially when adjusting back down.

My junior high shop teacher taught us to release pressure in the regulators when done. But my dad never did with his set, so I never have either, in using torches several times a week for 40 years.

Comment

Working...
          X