Sat for a year now doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sat for a year now doesn’t work

I’ve chased down everything I’ve got power coming in, power to the switch and power to the wires at the top of the switch once in the on position but the light doesn’t come on in the front of the machine nor does it operate. I don’t know what the next step is, as it worked great prior to be in storage for a year.

After looking at electrical diagram my first suspect would be power switch has failed... But at this point if you are not comfortable in opening up case there is not much you can test ...

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...35281F_HOB.pdf
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I’ve already opened it tested the power switch it works as it should, I’m at a loss myself as I’ve have power to everything until (I apologize for being ignorant on terms) the busbar in the back on the opposite side of the wire feed. The bottom two white wires I believe number 10 and 11 have power, power goes across the bar but the copper wire where it goes into what looks like a magneto deal doesn’t have any power. Also they’re the only two white wires hot on the bar are the bottom two.

Comment

Need to get correct terminology going here.... IS "magneto looking deal" actually the voltage selector switch?....

Should see 230VAC across points indicated on image with switch on..

Click image for larger version  Name:	230VAC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.8 KB ID:	714854 ...

Parts diagram/list....

https://www.hobartwelders.com/files/...35281A_HOB.pdf

Last edited by Dale M.; 06-07-2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

It's probably the control board, when you go to weld CR1 should kick on when you press the gun trigger since the output from the transformer is configured in a normally open state. If you come to the same conclusion that it's the board my company specializes in circuit board repair for welders. I offer full testing and a 1 year warranty on repairs. I repair every board for every make and model. frankcoproducts.com

Comment

The white wires going and all the way across has 120v but the wires on the left of the bar have nothing

Comment

So unplug machine and take the two screws out and inspect the connection there is either a broke wire, loose connection or corrosion on terminals ... Anyway It would be my first thing to check IF I was trouble shooting this machine...

Comment

Power goes all the way across the terminals, it’s as if the wire is not picking it up but the connection is fine

Comment

How are you determining there is no power on transformer side of lead. (terminal) ... Really good chance the wire has a enamel coating under the sleeving...

Comment

115v to the bottom two bars but stops there
                    I’ve got power to the selector switch 115v each lug

Comment

Check for AC voltage on the secondary side of each transformer, check at the leads from the transformers. If you're getting power it is a board problem. The board control the contactor relay CR1, when CR1 is on the light on the front of the machine will illuminate and you will have weld output. If the machine isn't doing anything at all and the board is receiving power then the board is bad. I repair the circuit boards for welding machines and often help some customers diagnose issues with the machine over the phone, 5 days a week. The problem you're having (machines work fine then sat and doesn't work) is a typical board problem I come across and the symptoms you are having are common. I could be wrong and it can be an open transformer, as rare as that is, but that's why you should check your secondary winding.

Comment

What is voltage across terminals 2 & 3 of TB1...

Comment

Working...
                        X