210 MVP Bird Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 210 MVP Bird Nest

I am running .023 silicon bronze wire, installed new teflon liner, I conitune to get a bird nest after the tension roller as it enters the liner? Any suggestions
    Running correct tip and it is new and clear. When I initially feed wire it works, but as soon as I stop and restart the wire kinks after tension roller and creates the birds nest

When wire stops does it "stick" at contact tip? How close is end of liner to tension roller?...
    "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I would recommend checking your spool tension as well as drive roll tension, it sounds like it may be overspooling and pushing through the roller when it stops. I'd watch the spool when you pull the trigger and make sure its stopping when you stop welding.

Comment

Wire is not sticking at tip, wire was well beyond tip when it bird nested. I will checy the spool tension to see if it is stopping. I have attached a pic of liner distance to rollers

Comment

What do you have the drive roller tension set to when welding?

Comment

Is the wire spool hold down tight enough? I had a portable Miller unit that the spool hold down backed off in my truck and did this exact thing.
            George W. Bush saving your butt whether you like it or not!
            If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
            Thomas Paine
            Fear is temporary, regret is forever
            HH210 w S.G.
            Victor/Uniweld O/P
            Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

So I spent some time with it, the spool is stopping when the trigger is released. I noted the tension was not high enough becasue as I watched it feed wire it would jump out of feed wheel groove. I ran the tension up to 3, seems to address that issue. The result is that may be too high as I encounter the birds nest while trying to tack weld and the wleder did not arc instanly (poor ground), but this caused the wire to stop and produced another birds nest. Seems to be small room for error. Thoughts?

Comment

Is it "birdnesting" between the drive roll and the liner? If you set the tension to prevent the wire from coming out of the drive groves good....it sounds like it is pushing the wire and a bad ground or to high of a wire speed is causing the nesting issue?
                Thomas Paine
                HH210 w S.G.
                Victor/Uniweld O/P
                Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

84ZMike, yes you are correct, tension set to keep it in grove and it bird nest if wire gets stopped. I guess this maybe a common issue with small guaged wire?

Comment

It can be an issue, I would check your ground clamp as well, make sure that the connections are solid.

Comment

Essentially the wire is being pushed faster than it is being consumed. Is the speed to fast/a bad connection as you stated you had/ other settings off?
                      Thomas Paine
                      HH210 w S.G.
                      Victor/Uniweld O/P
                      Dewalt Chop Saw

Comment

Good thoughts Mike, I am a novice welder so still learning how to dial it in. I am working on a bed floor 16ga metal, current setting is 3 and wire feed at 65. I really think my issue is getting a sufficent ground. I upgraded my ground clamp , i have heard getting some copper wire , like a strap and pinching it to increase surface area of ground.

Comment

Only real thing ground needs is to take wire brush or grinding wheel and make bright, shinny, clean spot for ground clamp...
                          "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                          X