Ironman 230 feeding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironman 230 feeding issues

Hey folks! New member here. I bought a new Ironman 230 about a year and a half ago, and have been battling feed issues on/off almost the whole time. It will run smooth and perform excellent about half the time. When it works, it's a real pleasure to run. On the other hand, when I working on a customers project, and it's not feeding right, it's more than frustrating!

I've adjusted the drive wheels to make sure that they're aligned, I have the roll tension set properly, I have blown out the liner multiple times (always very careful about not damaging my whip), tried several different brands of wire, messed with settings, etc. I have ran many of mig machines over the last couple decades, and am pretty good at troubleshooting. I've never had a machine give me this much trouble. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Good morning, and welcome. Please forgive my bluntness.

That was a lot of typing without giving us the needed details.

WHAT is the exact feeding issue? A picture is a bonus.
    WHAT brands of wire?
    WHAT tension setting?
    WHAT welding settings on what materials?

Is the roll of wire oriented properly? What size wire and tip? FCAW or GMAW process?

Comment

Sorry about that. I just figured everyone could read my mind.. Lol

WHAT is the exact feeding issue? A picture is a bonus. It's like it stops feeding at the rate that I set it at (slower) almost like the feed rolls are slipping

WHAT brands of wire? Hobart, Lincoln, Radnor, Harbor freight. It does it with all of them

WHAT tension setting? The feed wheel tension (I did it according to how Miller teaches you with the wood block). Also spool tension (just enough drag to keep it from free spinning, but not enough to hinder the feed)

WHAT welding settings on what materials? All setting on all materials. I mostly weld mild steel, anything from 16ga to 1/2" plus

Is the roll of wire oriented properly? What size wire and tip? FCAW or GMAW process? Solid core, orientated properly .035 GMAW

I will add that it is sporadic. I can have a beautiful ark for five minutes,and then problems on/off for an hour. It happens on/off during any given time. When I watch the feed, just sitting there pulling the trigger (not welding) everything appears to be feeding smoothly.

Thank you,

Chris
      Last edited by C Denny Run; 08-13-2021, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the details. I will ponder that when I get a moment, and now the details are here for when the real pros show up, too.

Comment

You may want to try replacing the liner altogether, it's a relatively cheap way to eliminate that being the source of your problems (it could have developed a kink or a groove which could potentially cause slipping). Part number is 196139 for the .030/.035 version or 196140 for the .035/.045 version.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobart Expert View Post
            You may want to try replacing the liner altogether, it's a relatively cheap way to eliminate that being the source of your problems (it could have developed a kink or a groove which could potentially cause slipping). Part number is 196139 for the .030/.035 version or 196140 for the .035/.045 version.
            Thank you very much! I'll give that a shot first. Hopefully that's all it is.

Chris

Comment

I would also check your hub tension, if it's to tight it may cause slipping

Comment

I just wanted to follow up on my issue. I replaced the liner, and it's all good now. I didn't see any defects, kinks, etc. on the old liner, but it did fix the problem. Thanks for the help folks!

Chris

Comment

Good you solved your problem, but if it reappears it may simply be a build up of crud along length of liner, sometimes a simple blast of high pressure air through liner clears out the cud and all is well again....
                  "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
                    Good you solved your problem, but if it reappears it may simply be a build up of crud along length of liner, sometimes a simple blast of high pressure air through liner clears out the cud and all is well again....
                    I did try that, with no luck. But it's probably good practice to just do every once in a while. Assuming you don't have moisture in your compressed air..

Comment

Working...
                    X