Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hobart 210 sputtering like mad! Help

Hello,

I decided to teach myself a new skill during the quarantine, so picked up a Hobart 210 MVP.

It was originally set up for FCAW and I switched the settings for GMAW welding. After welding several nice looking welds my first day or two, I have had constant sputtering issues. These issues are present on cleaned metal and metal with light mill scale.

The welds have changed, and I cannot figure out root cause. So I am looking for some advice:

gas: 75/25 mix
    wire: .030
    voltage: 220v

I have re read through all the instructions, and have added copper wire around my ground clamp as I suspected that a poor ground connection would be the culprit.... not helping.

I posted one of my “great” looking welds but cannot figure out what the problem might be to get back to that...

Let me know what other information would be helpful!

Damian

Have you changed the settings at all? The voltage looks like its way too low. I recommend using the chart on the door of the machine to get a ballpark on something that will work for your material thickness.

Comment

Agree with Hobart Expert, wire speed should be higher, up around 50 or more (use door chart)....

Also this video may help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

Dale
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Thanks for the advice, for the size of metal I am using the voltage and wire speed are set to the chart specifications for 75/25 gas and 220v power supply...

Comment

Are you still getting good gas flow?
          Gregg
          Handler 210MVP
          Stickmate 210i

Comment

Originally posted by BigDC704 View Post
            Thanks for the advice, for the size of metal I am using the voltage and wire speed are set to the chart specifications for 75/25 gas and 220v power supply...
            Door chart is ball park not absolute, turn up or down as required by weld results....

Dale
            "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Gregg,

how can i evaluate my gas flow? The regulator is pressurized and the gas ports on the MIG gun are clear. When I press the trigger the pressure fluctuates like it is being fed into the gun.

Comment

Give us your pressure numbers. Don't just say you have pressure. You should be able to feel the shielding gas coming out, even if just barely.

Adjust the regulator/flowmeter for 20 CFH while the gas is flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDC704 View Post
                  Gregg,

how can i evaluate my gas flow? The regulator is pressurized and the gas ports on the MIG gun are clear. When I press the trigger the pressure fluctuates like it is being fed into the gun.
                  Temporarily flip the "Spool Gun/MIG Gun" switch inside the case to Spool Gun (this stops the wire from feeding). Turn on the power and pull the Mig Gun trigger. You should hear and feel the gas flow. Remember to switch the "Spool Gun/MIG Gun" switch back to Mig Gun. Adjust the gas as MAC702 advised above.
                  Gregg
                  Handler 210MVP
                  Stickmate 210i

Comment

Is the wire stubbing into the material or burning off above the material? If it's burning off above the material you may have some type of feeding issue, a kink in the gun that wasn't there before. If its stubbing into the material you may have a grounding issue, make sure the material you're trying to weld is clean and deburred, and make sure there isn't any spatter on the table under it. Make sure the ground clamp is on a clean part of the table try wiggling it a little when you put in on the table to make sure the teeth on the clamp have a good connection. On the gas side, like Mac said make sure the regulator is set at around 20CFH while the gas is flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerhgm View Post

Temporarily flip the "Spool Gun/MIG Gun" switch inside the case to Spool Gun (this stops the wire from feeding). Turn on the power and pull the Mig Gun trigger. You should hear and feel the gas flow. Remember to switch the "Spool Gun/MIG Gun" switch back to Mig Gun. Adjust the gas as MAC702 advised above.
                      Good grief... I don't have a spool gun but I never noticed that switch before. It's hard to see even if you look for it.
                      Good tip for setting, draining or checking the gas pressure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 10.32.53 AM.png
Views:	95
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	709922
                      Attached Files
                      Polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride

Comment

Quick update, just got off the phone w Hobart. After going through several diagnostic checks, he believed it was due to a blockage in the MIG gun liner. I used the advice above and the gas was audible to hear and feel when the machine was on the spoolgun setting. Good advice.

Hobart is sending a new lining to replace the current one. We’ll see how that affects the welds.

Damian

Comment

ill say im far from credible, but as a noob welder, the hobart 210 will baby you quite well. Listen and feel what its telling you because it isnt subtle. Wire speed, gas, voltage. In my experience the door chart is dang close for C25/.030 wire, some changes as material heats or how your welding, very good ballpark though.

have you tested feeding wire into a flat surface to test the tension? Gas as mentioned above is fun to realize its not on lol. Is the machine set up for gas or flux?

again Im far from knowledgeable, just trying to help spawn some ideas.

best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X