Handler 210 MVP GMAW welds not penetrating on 110v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 210 MVP GMAW welds not penetrating on 110v

I purchased the 210 MVP a couple weeks ago and I’m scheduled to install a 220 circuit in my garage next week.

I’ve been experimenting with welds and settings over the past couple of weeks with both flux core and MiG with C-25. The flux core is working out fine with 3/16” steel. I’m unable to get MiG welds to penetrate even 16ga steel. The welds just pile up on top and are very poor. I can pull the entire beads off the metal with pliers.

I’m unable to get that nice bacon sizzle sound with the MiG arc no matter what I try: different techniques, wire speed settings, stick out distance, travel speed, ground clamp placement (even tried adding twisted copper strands), etc. I either get a decent amount of popping and splatter (like a bad ground/too much stick out) or even silence if too close. No weld puddle forms and the bead just builds up.

16ga seems within the limits of the 210 MVP even on 110v. Not sure if it’s the unit, my garage outlets or something I’m doing wrong. I’ve started tripping the 20amp circuit breaker for my garage semi frequently.

My test work pieces have been cleaned up well with a flapper disk. My polarity is correct for each FCAW and GMAW applications. I ground clamp directly to the work piece when possible.

Any troubleshooting steps or ideas would be much appreciated as I’m not finding much on my searches.

Thanks!

Pictures would help a lot. How did you set and adjust your shielding gas? Are you using the gas diffuser nozzle instead of the FCAW shield?

Are you a new welder with no training, or are you experienced and think something is wrong with the machine?

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I’m a novice welder and I’ve suspected all along that I’m the problem. However, as I troubleshoot and experiment with different settings and technique, I’m still having the same issues.

Photos of my setup are attached.

Comment

Might want to spend a little time with these two links....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale
        "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

The setup looks good so far. Got any pics of the attempted welds? Can you feel the gas coming through the nozzle?

Comment

Thanks, Dale. I’ve spent hours watching videos from weldingtipsandtricks.com. Jody’s videos are incredibly helpful.

Mac, I’ll try to feel the gas through the nozzle will report back.

Attached is an example of the MiG welds I’m getting, including a bead I ripped off with the pliers. This is on 1/8” steel but I have no idea which settings I was using. Most likely I was changing them after each bead. The results are pretty much the same though.

I’ve been paying close attention to my gun angle, mainly pushing. Just seems like I don’t have enough power.

Comment

Technically a 210 on 120 Volts is same setting as HH140 for amperage.... So it should have plenty of pizzass for 1/8 material...

Dale

Comment

I tried a few new experiments today.
                • Confirmed that I feel gas leave the nozzle while pressing the trigger
                • Upgraded to the premium Hobart ground clamp
                • Ran the welder off a different outlet in the garage
                • Ran the welder off my 8k (12k peak) watt generator. Worked but tripped the 110v 20amp outlets almost every bead.
                The results are about the same. It seemed that spark was a little stronger but ultimately no weld puddle or penetration in 1/8” steel.

I’m starting to think something is wrong with the unit and I should consider replacing it via Amazon.

Comment

The breaker tripping issue is because at top setting on 120 volts, position 7 on switch, it draws about 24 amps....

What does welder do when welding on position 4 thru 7 when on 240 volts?...

Dale

Comment

Unfortunately, I don’t have a 240v outlet yet to test on. I don’t have right adapter to fit the 4-prong 240v/30amp outlet on the generator either.

I will have 240 installed in my garage soon though. I’d like to get my issues figured out for 110 first. I can’t believe that I can’t get any fusion even on 16ga steel.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinjenkins View Post
                      ...I’m starting to think something is wrong with the unit...
                      Agreed. Any way to have an experienced weldor nearby check it out?

Comment

That’s a good idea. I’ll ask some of my neighbors to see if they know anyone nearby.

I plan to call Hobart tech support in the morning.

Thanks again for the assistance! I’ll report back once I figure out a resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinjenkins View Post
                          That’s a good idea. I’ll ask some of my neighbors to see if they know anyone nearby.

I plan to call Hobart tech support in the morning.

Thanks again for the assistance! I’ll report back once I figure out a resolution.
                          Those beads you show are so cold it seems as though you have both wfs and voltage in bottom settings. Have you checked your wfs control to see if it is working?
                          This is quite easy. All you have to do is pick a time period (15 seconds), and pull the trigger for that long and measure the amount of wire that comes out in that time at each setting from lowest to highest. If it is not increasing, incrementally, there is something wrong with your WFS control or your feed mechanism.

MAC792's suggestion is a good one, and this is the first thing I would check If I came over! Also. it is a good idea to run through the trouble shooting questions in your manual that are relevant for when you phone Hobart.
                          Last edited by Northweldor; 05-20-2020, 11:54 AM.

Comment

I had a simular issue when I first got my 210. It just took time behind the gun and a liitle tweaking and things started getting better. I got 220v installed in my garage now so I rarely use 110v. Just be patent, the 210 is a great machine and after 5 years of owning one I can say it was the best machine I could have ended up with. I'm very glad I didn't get a Chinese buzz box.

My guess, and its only a guess from you photo, but you may want to dial down the wire speed. Looks like your pooling metal, which adds to poor penetration.
                            Last edited by IRQVET; 05-23-2020, 12:29 AM.
                            HOBART 210 MPV
                            Northern Industrial 125

Comment

Originally posted by IRQVET View Post
                              I had a simular issue when I first got my 210. It just took time behind the gun and a liitle tweaking and things started getting better. I got 220v installed in my garage now so I rarely use 110v. Just be patent, the 210 is a great machine and after 5 years of owning one I can say it was the best machine I could have ended up with. I'm very glad I didn't get a Chinese buzz box.

My guess, and its only a guess from you photo, but you may want to dial down the wire speed. Looks like your pooling metal, which adds to poor penetration.
                              Your guess is wrong. The bead photos show very cold deposits, indicating that the WFS (amperage) is already too low. Also, if you check the OP's set up pics, he shows the settings recommended by Hobart on both V and WFS, for 1/8 " steel on 110V. Something is wrong, but it is not too high a WFS (amperage).

See the example from the Miller website below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFS High and low .png
Views:	84
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	709457
                              Last edited by Northweldor; 05-23-2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X