No announcement yet.

Ironman 240

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing an answer to my question here, let me be a little more direct. Is the new machine an inverter machine or a transformer machine?
    Hobart IronMan 230
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i
    Hobart AirForce 40i

Comment

Originally posted by onebadpig View Post
      Does infinitely variable voltage mean that it is now an inverter machine and no longer a transformer machine?
      No, the infinitely variable voltage doesnt mean it's an inverter based unit. The millermatic 252 and powermig 180C are transformer based units. The variable voltage just means there are more electronic components involved, such as SCRs.
      MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
      Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Originally posted by onebadpig View Post
        Not seeing an answer to my question here, let me be a little more direct. Is the new machine an inverter machine or a transformer machine?
        As soon as the unit actually becomes available you'll be able to get an answer to this question from Hobart or maybe possibly by looking through the parts manual.
        MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
        Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

As soon as the unit actually becomes available you'll be able to get an answer to this question from Hobart or maybe possibly by looking through the parts manual.
          At 185 lbs, it would be a very heavy inverter.

Comment

Let's wait and see what comes out in the following months. Maybe, they will contact Dan and ask him to test one out !
            If I feel that the variable voltage control and the extra amps are significantly worth it (which may not matter for a majority of the welders that just short arc) then I'll decide on upgrading. On the other hand though, seems like ITW needs to upgrade the Hobart line to keep up with the influx of machines on the market. I hope they stay transformer based. I'm not a fan of inverter machines. Yes, they are the future and are efficient and save electrical costs, but for the hobby welder like myself, you just can't beat the reliability of a good ol' transformer. Nothing worse than having a main board "POP" out of warranty and having the replacement cost being as much as a new machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazzer View Post
              Let's wait and see what comes out in the following months. Maybe, they will contact Dan and ask him to test one out !
              If I feel that the variable voltage control and the extra amps are significantly worth it (which may not matter for a majority of the welders that just short arc) then I'll decide on upgrading. On the other hand though, seems like ITW needs to upgrade the Hobart line to keep up with the influx of machines on the market. I hope they stay transformer based. I'm not a fan of inverter machines. Yes, they are the future and are efficient and save electrical costs, but for the hobby welder like myself, you just can't beat the reliability of a good ol' transformer. Nothing worse than having a main board "POP" out of warranty and having the replacement cost being as much as a new machine.
              The Miller 255 inverter weighs 84lbs while the 252 is described as "more than twice as heavy (207 lbs), by Miller. I suspect the new Ironman 240 is a stripped-down version of the 252, and is still a transformer.

The extra voltage and amperage are a real plus especially if you want to weld aluminum, or spray steel. The continuos voltage adjustment may be an advantage to some, but the steps on the 230 I tried were close enough together that a little WFS or CTWD variation filled in the gaps

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

At 185 lbs, it would be a very heavy inverter.
                Multi-function ... inverter welder and boat anchor in one unit.
                --- RJL ----------------------------------------------

Ordinarily I'm insane, but I have lucid moments when I'm merely stupid.
                -------------------------

Comment

my new 240 has crummy heat new off the crate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR35ts1kEzY

Comment

You're welding on top of the plate with no joint design. It's going to take some serious power to penetrate through a 3/16" plate with no joint design involved.

PM 180C

Comment

Working...
                    X