Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 210MVP Owner

Hi,
    I recently bought a 210 MVP to replace my Clarke 130EN. The smaller Clarke worked great for me with small jobs, but I’ve been in need of something bigger.
    My first project is a bike engine stand made from 16g 1”x1” tube. I did some practice welds and watched welding videos and read what I could. I’m using.030 wire but thinking I should use .024. I’m using Co2/ Argon mix set at 20 Cfh. I can use either voltage.
    Any suggestions for proper wire, input voltage 120/240 ( side note I have 120/208 three phase in my shop). I went through both the owner’s manual and Jodys video on new machine set up.
    My practice welds were set on 6/30, gas 20cfh and plugged into 120volt outlet. Wire was Forney .030 70,000 (I will have to look exactly what the wire was. And yes I’m way out of practice.
    Thanks

image widget

Click image for larger version

Name:	F71760F0-30F3-48D3-935B-184F01BA1A40.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	707546

Comment

Originally posted by Dozerash View Post
      Click image for larger version  Name:	F71760F0-30F3-48D3-935B-184F01BA1A40.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	30.3 KB ID:	707546
      Cold beads and slow travel. Do you have the Guidelines? ( available here

https://www.hobartwelders.com/-/medi...54557d_hob.pdf

Also, you might improve your setting skills if you watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

Last edited by Northweldor; 01-29-2020, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Found the guidelines, thanks! I’ll have to wait for warmer weather to finish this project! Even my auto darkening helmet isn’t working right in this cold!

Comment

I would highly suggest getting the machine running on 230 volts. It really would not have much more output than your Clarke on 120 volts input. I know that my transformer Lincoln 180 will run on 208 volts with a reduced output voltage and a reduced duty cycle. The transformer based 210 isn't much more technical than the Lincoln 180. Way more output, though. I used to own 2 Hobart 210MVP's. Bought them right after they came out. Sold them to my former boss when I worked at that company. Good for lighter shop work such as making small gates. Way too heavy for field work. Wiped out my knees carrying one up and down concrete stairs at an apartment complex.
          fence and gate shop worker
          At home...
          Lincoln Power MIG 180....
          Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Your beads are about as good as you are going to get on 120 volts. Just not a high output available. MIG welding does take more volts and amps to run a hot bead than some .035" flux core wire.
            fence and gate shop worker
            At home...
            Lincoln Power MIG 180....
            Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Originally posted by gatemaker View Post
              I would highly suggest getting the machine running on 230 volts. It really would not have much more output than your Clarke on 120 volts input. I know that my transformer Lincoln 180 will run on 208 volts with a reduced output voltage and a reduced duty cycle. The transformer based 210 isn't much more technical than the Lincoln 180. Way more output, though. I used to own 2 Hobart 210MVP's. Bought them right after they came out. Sold them to my former boss when I worked at that company. Good for lighter shop work such as making small gates. Way too heavy for field work. Wiped out my knees carrying one up and down concrete stairs at an apartment complex.
              I checked the voltage in my shop at my welder plug and I’m getting 214 volts. Hobart tech said it was ok to run my welder on 208 as long as it wasn’t below 200volts because it may want to switch to 120.

Comment

That sounds right. If you later use it on a 240V supply, instead of 208V, you might find your settings to be a little different to get the exact same performance.

Comment

I thought about getting a step transformer, but they are probably expensive for the little bit I do.

Comment

The 210 MVP IS a step transformer machine?
                    Last edited by Rangerhgm; 03-05-2020, 06:56 AM.
                    Gregg
                    Handler 210MVP
                    Stickmate 210i

Comment

Yes the 210MVP is a step transformer machine....

Click image for larger version  Name:	210mpv.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.5 KB ID:	708011

Note "T1" in diagram its the transformer..

Last edited by Dale M.; 02-18-2020, 02:43 PM.
                      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Yes but I can put a step transformer on the 208v line going to the welder to step it up to 230v.

Comment

Are you talking like the "stinger" leg (or hot leg) of a 3 phase supply or two 104 volt lines to create 208V...

Dale
                          "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

My single phase electrical panel is powered from my 3 phase panel. So yes two 104v legs.

Comment

Actually I have 120v each leg but they only measure 214v together at the outlet. The transformer I was thinking of is called a buck and boost transformer.

Comment

Working...
                              X