X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suggestion on tightening beads

hello all,

Ive been welding a short while with a mvp210

as ive practiced ive started to see some cause/effect, however what im having trouble with is keeping my beads tight. Ive tried push/pull and largely im practicing the cursive e technique, as i modify heat/ wire speed by monitoring sound, im not 100 percent satisfied with how the bead lays and its a bit more raised than ide prefer. Add heat, well ive tried by a few taps a least, and it still doesnt seem to sit as the pictures ive studied.

using c25 and inefil wire .030

just curious if anyone has any tips as to me trying to replicate a tight consistent bead?

ive been trying to place the arc in different distances from the edge of the puddle as i attempt to trace it. ive also tried the triangle looking technique which is tricky for me, but seems to produced uniform results, just not as sunk in as I said.

thank you for any wisdom
    Last edited by HOBARTxj; 01-11-2020, 10:57 PM.

Practice running stringers first (not weaving). Go with more wire speed and less travel speed. See what happens.

Make sure you have sufficient task lighting to see the weldment around your arc.

Comment

Originally posted by HOBARTxj View Post
      hello all,

Ive been welding a short while with a mvp210

as ive practiced ive started to see some cause/effect, however what im having trouble with is keeping my beads tight. Ive tried push/pull and largely im practicing the cursive e technique, as i modify heat/ wire speed by monitoring sound, im not 100 percent satisfied with how the bead lays and its a bit more raised than ide prefer. Add heat, well ive tried by a few taps a least, and it still doesnt seem to sit as the pictures ive studied.

using c25 and inefil wire .030

just curious if anyone has any tips as to me trying to replicate a tight consistent bead?

ive been trying to place the arc in different distances from the edge of the puddle as i attempt to trace it. ive also tried the triangle looking technique which is tricky for me, but seems to produced uniform results, just not as sunk in as I said.

thank you for any wisdom
      Happy New Year to you. That's 20/20, you look back and see cause and effect. From what your describing, to move forward you need to see cause and effect.

I don't see a picture so really...That's like guessing what fruits in the bag by it's weight.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6420.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	707321Looking at this snaky weld, one might say the voltage was a little high, gun at times lost a bit of shielding due to angle or breeze, and travel speed while fairly consistent, it does show a bit wider in the hips in a few locations.

So...having trouble keeping your beads tight eh...That's suggesting your forward progression is what's spotty. Making all those little "e's" takes some serious concentration doesn't it?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38967.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	707322Click image for larger version

Name:	image_38968.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	707323

So, If I was to guess at your problem, I'd say something different. First I'd say study the pictures. Maybe you are just moving to slow, or to spotty, adding to much WFS, or lacking voltage. Heck, could be you just run excessive stick out. Possibly running on a thick material?

And this Triangle thing...I'm not going there this evening. But not out of words, when you figure out what these pictures tell you, you won't be doing baby "e's". You have a machine capable of larger and better. Use it.

You doing little e's trying to what, make a bigger bead? How about a larger wire bigger bead no e's? Less thinking involved. But hey...without a picture it's hard to say just what your doing.

Comment

I found that this simple video can identify and actually recommend way to "fix" most mig issues....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

Dale

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
          I found that this simple video can identify and actually recommend way to "fix" most mig issues....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xod-ByrxHg4

Dale

I agree. This is one of the best videos on youtube in clearly showing the weld pool and what is happening while holding other parameters constant. ( Most of the others are at WT&T, in which the author also shows excellent photography, used for clear direction).

Also note that he is running stringers, as MAC702 advised you. Save the gun manipulation for poor fit-up. out of position, or other areas where you actually need it. In most of your MIG welding you will find that stringers produce stronger and better welds.

Below are two good articles doing something similar with the 4 main setting parameters:

https://ewi.org/gas-metal-arc-weldin...lding-voltage/

https://ewi.org/gas-metal-arc-weldin...distance-ctwd/
          Last edited by Northweldor; 01-13-2020, 02:02 PM.

Comment

thank you for the photos, Im constantly trying to consider all of these factors. practice practice practice practice, more practice. so far Im through my first 10lb spool and 92cf bottle. consistency takes work, Im learning much and beginning to notice what I am generally unaware of as I weld. It takes serious time to notice this stuff haha.

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post

And this Triangle thing...I'm not going there this evening. But not out of words, when you figure out what these pictures tell you, you won't be doing baby "e's". You have a machine capable of larger and better. Use it.
            Is there any particular technique that would represent this "larger and better" or are you simply saying its more capable than I at tracing the weld puddle? I read this as you suggesting the cursive e is useless perhaps.

other than running stringers do you suggest any particular technique instead of the "e". Ive been stacking welds to try and practice, I guess this would relate more to a fillet weld so my hunt for technique would apply more so to this application.

Im learning quite a bit and can speak volumes of praise for what a good mask is allowing me to understand as I watch the puddle. Ive also tried a new wire "INE" which seems a little better for manipulating the puddle. I had hobart wire before which Im sure is fine, heck wire in general probably is far from a worry right now, but its noticeable as I get a feel for the machine.

I know this was a bit of a vague question. As Im practicing tracing beads, Ive been trying to pay attention to how both sides wet out. I suppose this is largely why Ive been trying to think in terms of technique and the beads pattern/ moving the puddle/tracing. Im starting to pay closer attention to the proximity of the arc to the edge of the puddle and time spent letting it wet out a bit more.

thanks guys
            Last edited by HOBARTxj; Yesterday, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HOBARTxj View Post

Is there any particular technique that would represent this "larger and better" or are you simply saying its more capable than I at tracing the weld puddle?
              What I'm saying is you have to think more about it. o/O. Size matters. You want bigger or larger, easiest is changing to a larger wire or rod size, start at A go to B.

Let me ask you, do you think when they set up a robot to weld they hit a program button for little "e's" or "c's" or "Christmas trees"?. They don't. They set the voltage, WFS, Electrode angle, Electrode Inclination, and travel speed... then then hit the go button and go A to B.

Now before anyone gets their knickers in a knot, technology has caught up and they are osculating wires, but they aren't doing it to combat improper welding parameters.

As far as technique goes...I pour the milk in before I add the cereal to the bowl.

Comment

Working...
              X