Handler 100 arrived broken...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler 100 arrived broken...

Was so excited to get a new welder today, nothing fancy, Hobart Handler 100, but was just really looking forward to getting it up and running. Came today FedEx, got it all opened and ready to go. Put wire on and the wire feeder had no power. Spent the next hour or more reading the manual and googling reasons it wasn't feeding wire. Found a guy that opened his up and found a disconnected wire causing another issue.

So I finally decided I was doing nothing incorrectly and opened up the panel. Immediately pretty darn obvious what the issue was. An entire circuit board had snapped off it's 4 plastic standoffs and a terminal came unplugged.

I plugged the terminal back in and the feeder worked fine, welder also seems to function normally after doing a quick test on scrap. But now I have a circuit board floating in my welder. I'd rather have an arm taken off than deal with packing this back up and returning it.

Just sucks, sharing in case there are more people having issues with quality issues on arrival. I know for sure it has happened to others as they also posted on forums about it. Open the panel up and do a quick look, may find your issue in there. And I realize this is a cheap welder, but those 4 plastic standoffs are an insult to the customer, can't believe that was ever approved during manufacturing. I'll message Hobart and see what they say, if they want me to return it I'll do so and buy another brand.

Had the same thing happen to my HH210 when they first came out. It was actually a Beta model shipping from the factory UPS happened. You could even see the big dent in the corner of the box where they dropped it. I had to reattach the front control panel to the frame inside. The problem with a domestically manufactured product sometimes is that they AREN'T made/packed to survive overseas shipping. But the roughest shipping is the regional distribution warehouses.

It's one of the risks we take to buy a machine more cheaply from some Internet warehouse than a local welding supply store. If I was replacing a Hobart, it would be because I was getting a Miller, but the choices/risks are the same for getting it from the factory to your door in one piece.

I've gotten too old to care about what the thing looks like inside now. I'd enjoy the machine as is.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-29-2019, 08:06 PM.

Comment

You think maybe FEDEX had something to do with it, and not a problem with the stand offs?

Dale

"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
        You think maybe FEDEX had something to do with it, and not a problem with the stand offs?
        For sure is possible, and that is likely what happened. But that is a heavily populated circuit board with some heavy components (notice that big coil) being held vertical by pathetically placed plastic, rolling the welder on a cart could cause those standoffs to break. Terrible manufacturing design, just asking for a failure in shipping or during real world use, put this welder in the back of your truck and it will rattle to pieces. I still need to message Hobart, hopefully they can correct it before assembling too many more.

I have found many others on forums with their wire feeder suddenly not working on Hobarts, this would be the first place they should look.

I did some solid welding with it today. Works great and welds are just fine on 1/8in steel. I put it on a little wagon to get it out to a shed, took it nice and easy to avoid breaking anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike04 View Post

For sure is possible, and that is likely what happened. But that is a heavily populated circuit board with some heavy components (notice that big coil) being held vertical by pathetically placed plastic, rolling the welder on a cart could cause those standoffs to break. Terrible manufacturing design, just asking for a failure in shipping or during real world use, put this welder in the back of your truck and it will rattle to pieces. I still need to message Hobart, hopefully they can correct it before assembling too many more.

I have found many others on forums with their wire feeder suddenly not working on Hobarts, this would be the first place they should look.

I did some solid welding with it today. Works great and welds are just fine on 1/8in steel. I put it on a little wagon to get it out to a shed, took it nice and easy to avoid breaking anything else.
          As a regular reader, on this forum, I would like to see you back up this statement with links to the "many" incidents of cheap construction. I am sure Hobart Expert Keith would be interested also.

Comment

One of my Hobart 210's was dropped down the concrete stairs at an apartment complex. It was while it was being used, not in a box. Smashed the trigger wire connector through the front panel. It's the pits for a new machine. Maybe you can find some plastic or rubber standoffs at a hardware store and rig up something for the board?
            One of the diesel powered engine drive welders at work had a big pipe fall on it. Turned the sheet metal into a taco and bent the frame. That is damage at a whole different level....
            fence and gate shop worker
            At home...
            Lincoln Power MIG 180....
            Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Originally posted by gatemaker View Post
              Maybe you can find some plastic or rubber standoffs at a hardware store and rig up something for the board?
              Had these exact thoughts. I actually work for a company that manufacturers circuit boards. Hoping to find some aluminum spares to repair it with.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
                As a regular reader, on this forum, I would like to see you back up this statement with links to the "many" incidents of cheap construction. I am sure Hobart Expert Keith would be interested also.
                Google "Hobart not feeding wire". Many other people trying to figure out why their feeder stopped, or isn't working brand new. A lot never do figure it out so they have to take their unit in for repair. A lot of 'fans run, no feed' issues people are trying to troubleshoot. Not going to share every single link, just google it and you will see it is "many, many".

Here is a guy similar to me, this thread below is one reason I decided to open mine up and take a look. Brand new welder not feeding, he found an unhooked wire just like mine. I actually found another thread with an even more similar issue to mine, but am not finding it right now, same unhooked wire solution. Poor materials and poor QA before shipping.

https://weldingweb.com/showthread.ph...40-not-FEEDING!!!!

Not wanting to start an argument and I'm sure my tone is reading that way. I work in a very quality driven manufacturing environment preparing data for automated equipment, seeing such a poor material used, and the result this oversight caused struck a nerve to me. I found I was not the first person to experience this issue, so I joined and posted, maybe this post will help one more person out before they fall into a time consuming troubleshooting rabbit hole.

Open unit, check for damage and/or unhooked terminals.

Comment

Working...
                X