How do you start your MIG welds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you start your MIG welds?

I'm getting mixed answers on this and it seems to cause some debate.....

How do you start your MIG welds? If you have time please explain why one might be right or wrong.

A. I start with the wire touching the metal.
    B. I start with the wire away from the metal and it only touches after I pull the trigger.
    C. It does not matter.

What do you all think?
    "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
    Compressions 9.7:1

In my opinion the correct answer is I start my welds with a cut clean end to the wire because whether or not the wire is in contact or away and makes contact, it will initiate the arc more readily then a balled burnt end with poor electrical conductivity due to oxidation and irregular shape. I'm going to say that with authority.

Comment

Clean cut end and wire off the metal.....

Dale
      "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

I try to do as oldguy and dale do but not always

Ed Conley
        Screaming Broccoli, Inc
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
        TA185
        SO 2020 Bender
        Miller 125c Plasma
        "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

I pondered this a bit and think with admittance, an advantage to striking from above rather then the slight disadvavtage resting upon would be the fraction of a second without the possibility of shielding gas coverage. That said, if a person was to have a short cut wire, burped it to length then touched down and squeezed the trigger...?

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
            I pondered this a bit and think with admittance, an advantage to striking from above rather then the slight disadvavtage resting upon would be the fraction of a second without the possibility of shielding gas coverage. That said, if a person was to have a short cut wire, burped it to length then touched down and squeezed the trigger...?
            I heard that in discussion OG.... Then someone mentioned flux core. In most videos you cant really see if its touching or not when they start. I did notice something I never saw before on my 210. When I touch the metal with the wire (trigger not depressed) I see a very tiny spark every time.

By the way, the problem you mention about being without gas for a fraction of a second is all I have really heard that could be bad and everyone says that would be a non issue. It takes flux core that long at least to heat up.
            Last edited by Nipper; 09-12-2019, 07:35 PM.
            "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
            Compressions 9.7:1

Comment

I rarely do anything "always" .. I trim the nub as often as I can remember and start the bead with the wire about 1/8th, + or -, away whenever I take time to think about it. We're talking solid wire here.

Comment

I run the wire into the metal to be welded and not touching it to start the weld.
                A few of my toys !!!

MX Linux
                LinuxMint

Miller Roughneck 2E
                Lincoln Weldpak 100
                Gianttech Arc 200
                Victor O/A

Comment

When you think about a gas being lighter then air, or heavier then air...The next question might be do you hang the gun to drain or loop to create a trap?

Comment

Originally posted by Nipper View Post
                    I'm getting mixed answers on this and it seems to cause some debate.....

How do you start your MIG welds? If you have time please explain why one might be right or wrong.

A. I start with the wire touching the metal.
                    B. I start with the wire away from the metal and it only touches after I pull the trigger.
                    C. It does not matter.

What do you all think?
                    It can only be done with wire welding. In it, the intensity and voltage are adjusted by the operator according to the values ​​necessary for the work to be done and it is the equipment itself that regulates them.If you like more detailed information, Click here https://migweldingreviews.com/tips-f...ing-beginners/

Comment

Am I building a spacecraft or a security gate? That's my answer while I flag the spam above.

Comment

If you are using solid wire on some decorative finish work then trim the end of the wire for a nicer start. I only run T 11 fluxcore at work now so get to just snap off the end. No cutters. Some other brands of flux core wire don't snap off. Had two 10# rolls of "Fusion Flow" (made in USA) as lower cost wire sample rolls that didn't snap off. The wire was far more sensitive to blowing air, too. No more of that...
                        fence and gate shop worker
                        At home...
                        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Working...
                        X