Hobart 190 does nothing when switched on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 190 does nothing when switched on

I have a Hobart 190 mig from around 2011. I was using it with it functioning perfectly today and now it won’t turn back on. The welder was plugged into an extension cord. I finished a weld then moved the welder forward which pulled the extension cord causing the welder to turn on and off a few times before it had no connection. I shut it off, secured the extension cord and went to turn it on and there’s nothing working. The breaker wasn’t tripped. So far I’ve removed the welder cover and tested the 25 amp protector which was not tripped either. I turned it on and at all four connections on the on/off switch I have 120v. Any ideas or things to test? Thank you!

Originally posted by Baker97xj View Post
    ...The breaker wasn’t tripped. So far I’ve removed the welder cover and tested the 25 amp protector which was not tripped either. I turned it on and at all four connections on the on/off switch I have 120v. Any ideas or things to test? Thank you!
    Not knowing your level of troubleshooting experience:

Are you sure the breaker wasn't tripped? Sometimes they trip internally without moving the handle.

Do other things work that are plugged into that circuit? Can the machine be plugged into another circuit for testing?

When you get the 120V, is this line-to-line, or line-to-ground? This is a 240V (230V) machine, therefore...

My first guess it that your breaker has failed, and you are only getting one pole (120V) passing through, or one pole has fused to the other inside the breaker and you are getting the SAME 120V leg on both poles now, but the welder is going to see 0V line-to-line.

Comment

I have a Bridgeport that I run off of the same circuit. It still functions correctly. I checked line to ground and read 120v on each line. What you said towards the end there could be true and I will check that! The Bridgeport runs off of a vfd and it may still function if the line fused. I’ll test everything and reply back. Thank you!

Comment

I ended up checking my extension cord and it looks like it was the problem. I was getting 240v at wall. I fixed the receptacle on my extension cord and got 240v again. It’s working great again! Your tip kept me from trying a new control board! Thank you

Comment

That's what I suspected the problem was. Was gonna tell you this morning to by pass the extension cord and plug the unit into the wall
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
          X