Welder power strength metal fence repair / modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welder power strength metal fence repair / modification

I'm in the market for a welder but to justify the cost, I've been looking at projects I'll be able to do around my property with the welder.

One project is to modify my metal (iron??) fence. I'd like to replace my ornamental top rail with a flat bar. I'd also like to replace the twisted vertical bars with square bars. (And I'm going to cut out the ornamental flowery metal work with a grinder).

Will a 140amp welder be able to handle this project? Or am I better off with a 190 / 210MVP model?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cobretti; 08-08-2019, 07:33 AM.

A HH 140 will probably do the job, but its pretty near the max.... I have a 140 and it can do wonderful things up to the material size you are looking at here it . But you may wish you had bigger machine, I would do it with a 140, but there are time I wish I had gotten the 210MVP as it seems projects come along that are just a bit bigger than machine is capable of, and if you do a lot of welding projects seem to bet bigger as time goes on.... And since it is a railing, if you have a failure it could result in injury...

Dale
    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
      A HH 140 will probably do the job, but its pretty near the max.... I have a 140 and it can do wonderful things up to the material size you are looking at here it . But you may wish you had bigger machine, I would do it with a 140, but there are time I wish I had gotten the 210MVP as it seems projects come along that are just a bit bigger than machine is capable of, and if you do a lot of welding projects seem to bet bigger as time goes on.... And since it is a railing, if you have a failure it could result in injury...

Dale
      I see some Lincoln 140 weld paks being sold brand new in the box for $300 on craigslist. ($550 +tax at home depot). Vs $850 for a Hobart 210MVP. I agree that the 210MVP is probably the right choice if both products are being offered at retail prices. 550 vs 850. But at $300, it gets tempting.

Comment

I have used my 140 for just such projects and never had an issue with the welds. Its a great all purpose little welder. I will sometimes weld 1/2 thick material with it. It depends on what the project is. If its a structural connection thats going to be under stress , no I would not use it but for the project You have mentioned I would not hesitate about my 140. If You aren't sure about Your weld pass just do a triple pass.

Comment

I've built more stair and fence rails with a 120V MIG than I care to remember. At this level, the failures will be the weldor, not the welder.

You can do A LOT with the 120V MIG and if you are like many of us, you'll still like having the lighter machine around, even when you do need a bigger machine and get it ALSO.

Comment

buy the $300.00 one and you'll have money leftover for a power washer and an ashtray
            Ed Conley
            Screaming Broccoli, Inc
            http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
            MM252
            MM211
            Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
            TA185
            SO 2020 Bender
            Miller 125c Plasma
            "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

Working...