No announcement yet.

trying to decide on welder....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so i figured out what i am going to do i think.. get a cheap harbor freight or everlast 110/220 mig for work out side of the shop.. and get the ironman 230 for real work inside the shop and have it last till i have grandkids. i thought hard on the esab rebel 235ic but at 1600 bucks i can buy two welders and know the one will last

Comment

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
      so i figured out what i am going to do i think.. get a cheap harbor freight or everlast 110/220 mig for work out side of the shop.. and get the ironman 230 for real work inside the shop and have it last till i have grandkids. i thought hard on the esab rebel 235ic but at 1600 bucks i can buy two welders and know the one will last
      Sounds like a better plan, but I would stick with HF, rather than Everlast,, simply because failing machines can be returned to any store, saving on freight costs, 3 month replacement or money-back, and they actually have a testing division to ensure a little better Chinese quality control.

Comment

spoke with a gent from everlast, seemed decent. he works with millers and really didnt say nothing bad that wasnt the truth. the everlast machines do have better duty cycles than the hf brand, but consumables are the same.

Comment

If you've learned to appreciate the accuracy level of adjustability that your units at would provide, even though it is a very good unit, I wonder if the Ironman 230 may not be somewhat disappointing to you with its jumps that it takes in the output power range covered.
          MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
          Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

yes i may be some dissapointed with it, but im kinda stuck with it. the only transformer based machine i can find with infinet control is the lincoln 256 which is way out of my price range. if im going to spend over 1g on a welder i want one to last a life time. miller rep was in my work last friday and i was talking with him. the xmt 450 has around a 5 yr life span he said, some may last more others less. reason big companys like mine are switching over to them is because even though they dont last as long as a transformer unit. the inverter units use much less engery, because we run them none stop for two shifts the company saves money on electric bill which is more than enough to replace a unit when it goes south. i asked about a inverter welder for home use and he said that sitting is the worst for them because if moister gets inside the machine it starts to break down the cards and circut boards. as the older machines had the cards and circut boards made out of different materials and pretty much were not breaking down while in land fills, so long story short epa got involved and all the different companys not just miller had to got to the new materials that break down easier over time. he has seen plenty of 211's and 215's come back because they sat to long and boards started to break down. he also confirmed that the cost of fixing a 211 or 215 is around 800bucks if that were to happen. he says if you want a long term welder to get a transformer unit. as for getting dissapointed with the 230 iron man, im just going to have to learn to adjust the wire speed more often vs choosing the wire speed i want and matching the voltage to make it purr

Comment

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
              yes i may be some dissapointed with it, but im kinda stuck with it. the only transformer based machine i can find with infinet control is the lincoln 256 which is way out of my price range. if im going to spend over 1g on a welder i want one to last a life time. miller rep was in my work last friday and i was talking with him. the xmt 450 has around a 5 yr life span he said, some may last more others less. reason big companys like mine are switching over to them is because even though they dont last as long as a transformer unit. the inverter units use much less engery, because we run them none stop for two shifts the company saves money on electric bill which is more than enough to replace a unit when it goes south. i asked about a inverter welder for home use and he said that sitting is the worst for them because if moister gets inside the machine it starts to break down the cards and circut boards. as the older machines had the cards and circut boards made out of different materials and pretty much were not breaking down while in land fills, so long story short epa got involved and all the different companys not just miller had to got to the new materials that break down easier over time. he has seen plenty of 211's and 215's come back because they sat to long and boards started to break down. he also confirmed that the cost of fixing a 211 or 215 is around 800bucks if that were to happen. he says if you want a long term welder to get a transformer unit. as for getting dissapointed with the 230 iron man, im just going to have to learn to adjust the wire speed more often vs choosing the wire speed i want and matching the voltage to make it purr
              Sounds like a good sales pitch for Horror Fright piece of crap.....

D.
              Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

The 230 would be on my short list if I was in the market, I actually like taps as good or better.
                http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

Sounds like a good sales pitch for Horror Fright piece of crap.....

D.
                  no im i am telling you all what he said, why would i lie? im not broand loyal on any thing except for firearms. i simply asked him for info and what to look for, even after he told me all that stuff he still recomended i bought a miller. id take his word over yours any ways, i mean he works for miller knows there products, sees the failurs and has been with then 20 some thing years. im just trying to spread the word on what i was told. know reason to take offense to it

Comment

Here's one of the better prices Ive seen on the Ironman 230. Cyberweld is close to this price too.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...661f2383349a80
                    MigMaster 250- Smooth arc with a good touch of softness to it. Good weld puddle wetout. Light spatter producer.
                    Ironman 230 - Soft arc with a touch of agressiveness to it. Very good weld puddle wet out. Light spatter producer.

PM 180C

HH 125 EZ - impressive little fluxcore only unit

Comment

Working...
                    X