trying to decide on welder....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to decide on welder....

hello all new here but not new to welding. i work in welding manufacturing have been for the past 10 years. ive never had a need for a home welder as i always took things to work but its starting to become a pita! having a hard time deciding on a welder as i have been spoiled at work, we used to run miller delta 452's but have recently upgraded the whole shop to miller xmt 450's. we run spray transfur 99% of the time running binzel 400amp smoke extraction guns. looking for a machine that can handle up to 1/2in on flux or solid core, looked hard at the iron man 230 but the tapped settings irritated me as im so used to infinet control. so i looked at the miller 215 and lincoln 210 mp, great features decent duty cycle for home but there inverter powered. kinda leary on that as we have had more of the xmt's fail in the past two years vs the old transformer style delta welds but that is on a manufacturing scale and not home use. but the fear of an inverter style failing scares me after the warrenty runs out, as circut boards and control cards can easily cost as much as the machine was new.. so it got me to thinking about the off brand types, everlast firepower ect. called everlast for info couldnt get ahold of any one, so there out as the customer support sucks, same with firepower. then i found eastwoods 250mig, good price awsome duty cycles good warranty with the option of extended warranty. just having a tough time going from american mad to chinese. i could buy the lincoln 210mp for 1200 cash with 3 yr warranty, but if it fails outside of that cost of fixing is outragious. or could buy the eastwood 250 mig for 720 with there coupon and purchase extened warranty. if it fails out side of the warranty i can replace it for another and still be ahead of the name brand units.. what would you guys do?

Tapped transformer-based machines are as reliable as you are going to get. I've got machines with infinite-control and tapped. No difference in practical usage with most machines.

I'd still buy the Miller/Hobart machines and experience the better reliability and better quality over the cheap replacement costs of the Neverlast machines.
    Last edited by MAC702; 07-09-2019, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Haven't had an issue with my HH 210MVP. It's not really an issue dialing in the "bacon" with the tapped voltage and infinite wire speed
      Gregg
      Handler 210MVP
      Stickmate 210i

Comment

210mvp dosnt have the guts that im looking for, and the duty cycles on the miller 211 and 215 dont impress me much either

Comment

https://www.eastwood.com/mig-250-welder-eastwood.html .im not trying to bash any brand, but im just looking best bang for my buck

Comment

Originally posted by caleb90 View Post
            https://www.eastwood.com/mig-250-welder-eastwood.html .im not trying to bash any brand, but im just looking best bang for my buck
            You stated you are "leary of inverter technology", but you are considering this one that has inverter technology....

Dale
            "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Originally posted by Dale M. View Post

You stated you are "leary of inverter technology", but you are considering this one that has inverter technology....

Dale
              yes i am, but most any new machine is an inverter any more. but that one cost much less and has the same warranty as the big names. can buy 2 of those cheaper than spending the cash on name brand and having yo fix it down the road.. thus why im asking people what they would do

Comment

210mvp dosnt have the guts that im looking for, and the duty cycles on the miller 211 and 215 dont impress me much either
                I wasn't suggesting you get the 210MVP.....I was just stating that a tap machine wasn't hard to use.
                Gregg
                Handler 210MVP
                Stickmate 210i

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerhgm View Post

I wasn't suggesting you get the 210MVP.....I was just stating that a tap machine wasn't hard to use.
                  i know that tapped machines arnt hard to use, and they do work very well. have used them plenty of times in the past. but since i use machines that have full have every day and have been for the past ten years. its kinda hard to want to go back

Comment

i know that tapped machines arnt hard to use, and they do work very well. have used them plenty of times in the past. but since i use machines that have full have every day and have been for the past ten years. its kinda hard to want to go back
                    I'll drink to that.
                    "He who is without oil shall throw the first rod."
                    Compressions 9.7:1

Comment

i have considered the vulcan migmax 215 from harbor freight for 3 reasons. 1 decent price even though they keep creaping up 2 impressive duty cycles and 3 they have a decent warranty if you but it, and if the thing quits on a sunday morning you can have a new machine by lunch time

Comment

Generally, I like the arc on a tapped transformer machine. A softer arc, usually. Some older tapped machines only had 3 or 4 taps, which would be difficult to use. Too cold, too hot...A 6 or 7 tap, 200 amp machine is quite easy to use...
                        fence and gate shop worker
                        At home...
                        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Does the duty cycle pf the Eastwood 250 MIG impress you? I think something is wrong. and you should ask many questions before you buy! If you expect to achieve spray transfer on aluminum with the $245 gun with a 30% duty cycle, you are, in spite of your claimed experience, wrong. Also. the manual with no wiring diagram. and no duty cycle graphs is another characteristic of low quality machines. Finally, a warranty that places all freight expenses.on the purchaser and all decision-making with the seller .should be the final non purchase signal, unless you live next door, or, down the street, from the Eastwood repair depot.

The Eastwood 250 also does not have the GUTS you are looking for, since its own manual advises not going above 28 volts (a bare minimum for spray transfer with aluminum), and the spoolgun they sell is not usable for stainless,and other metals.

Comment

Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Does the duty cycle pf the Eastwood 250 MIG impress you? I think something is wrong. and you should ask many questions before you buy! If you expect to achieve spray transfer on aluminum with the $245 gun with a 30% duty cycle, you are, in spite of your claimed experience, wrong. Also. the manual with no wiring diagram. and no duty cycle graphs is another characteristic of low quality machines. Finally, a warranty that places all freight expenses.on the purchaser and all decision-making with the seller .should be the final non purchase signal, unless you live next door, or, down the street, from the Eastwood repair depot.

The Eastwood 250 also does not have the GUTS you are looking for, since its own manual advises not going above 28 volts (a bare minimum for spray transfer with aluminum), and the spoolgun they sell is not usable for stainless,and other metals.
                            yes on paper they do impress me, but at the same time for the same reasons i have my doubts.. like you said, they just have the duty cycle percentage but fail to tell at what temp. it is very easy to fudge numbers based on what temp a machine is tested at. i have called them twice to pick there brain and ask questions, there customer support techs go silent when i ask technicle questions about the machine as they have no answere.. the aluminum thing dosnt bother me, as i would hardly ever encounter aluminum thicker that 1/16th thick. more interested in thick steal cabailitys.. im not saying its a great machine, but i truly think that inverter welders are throw away welders. why spend 1400-1500 for a name brand that will fail at some point in or out of warranty. or can buy a off brand for half the price and when it fails you can just buy another and have less invested. this is my hang up! if i wanted just a dedicated shop machine it would be a big ole heavy 240v only transformer based machine. but would be nice to have a beater rig to take with me easly and run on 110v if needed. thus why im looking at the inverter welders even though i dont trust them

Comment

yes on paper they do impress me, but at the same time for the same reasons i have my doubts.. like you said, they just have the duty cycle percentage but fail to tell at what temp. it is very easy to fudge numbers based on what temp a machine is tested at. i have called them twice to pick there brain and ask questions, there customer support techs go silent when i ask technicle questions about the machine as they have no answere.. the aluminum thing dosnt bother me, as i would hardly ever encounter aluminum thicker that 1/16th thick. more interested in thick steal cabailitys.. im not saying its a great machine, but i truly think that inverter welders are throw away welders. why spend 1400-1500 for a name brand that will fail at some point in or out of warranty. or can buy a off brand for half the price and when it fails you can just buy another and have less invested. this is my hang up! if i wanted just a dedicated shop machine it would be a big ole heavy 240v only transformer based machine. but would be nice to have a beater rig to take with me easly and run on 110v if needed. thus why im looking at the inverter welders even though i dont trust them
                              Buy cheapest Harbor Freight.... Genuine throways.....
                              "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Working...
                              X