Hobart 210 MVP wiring requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete_ View Post

I see that even when unsubscribed, one receives notifications when quoted.

It's not attitude, I have no stake in what someone else does. It is not as if I will profit from the OP buying wire. I quoted the manual that came with my welder. I don't understand why that would be challenged as if I am intentionally posting misinformation.

I invested in a decent quality welder. The welder, with the spool gun, and the purchase of a tank and gas, comes close to $1000. For me, and I can only speak for myself, I do not understand why someone might want to short change themselves for another $50, or 5%. I tend to err on the side of safety and performance, and I want to ensure that my equipment can perform to its full potential.

This is all personal opinion, YMMV.
    Hi Pete,

I can not find those words in the manual found online- Can you post a photo? Just curious because the 190 has been out for quite awhile and this has never been mentioned.

How old is your 190?

Can you list the OM-xxxxx on the top right of your manual?

Ed
    Ed Conley
    Screaming Broccoli, Inc
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller Passport Plus, Spoolmate 100
    TA185
    SO 2020 Bender
    Miller 125c Plasma
    "Hold my beer while I try this!"

Comment

OM-260273E

Let me try to find it again. (I actually quoted what I sent my electrician when I was soliciting bids)
      I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you.
      Frank Zappa

Comment

*Sigh*

I owe you all a sincere apology. It was not intentional, but I "lied", or, as one of you kindly put it, "misremembered`".

I went through the manual and I could not find it either. So I did a google search, which led me here: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2227_200482227

Northern was one of the companies from whom I considered buying the welder. I went through the Q&A and found it.
        I'm really sorry for my attitude and my misinformation.
        Last edited by Pete_; 05-30-2019, 07:48 PM.
        I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you.
        Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Pete_ View Post
          *Sigh*

I owe you all a sincere apology. It was not intentional, but I "lied", or, as one of you kindly put it, "misremembered`".

I went through the manual and I could not find it either. So I did a google search, which led me here: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2227_200482227

Northern was one of the companies from whom I considered buying the welder. I went through the Q&A and found it.
          I'm really sorry for my attitude and my misinformation.
          So that trumps that official documentation from manufacture and NEC.... I don't think that "comment" has any official bearing on case, its just someones unofficial opinion....

Dale
          "Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson..

Comment

Yes, Dale, I agree.
            Frank Zappa

Comment

We're patient. We knew that was coming.

For whatever reason, it won't show smilies, even though it shows options for them.
              Last edited by MAC702; 05-30-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                We're patient. We knew that was coming.

For whatever reason, it won't show smilies, even though it shows options for them.
                I can see them when I quote your message, however!

Yeah, I guess I can eat crow with the best of them. *wink*

Sorry folks!
                Frank Zappa

Comment

If it was piped single circuit it could use 12 and 50A breaker. The machine wont really notice any difference between 12 and 10 but under test conditions I can tell a fuzz between 14 and 12 on 120V at 50 ft. Wide open about 3 or 4 volts loss on 12 and 8 or so on 14. I havnt tested one on 14 at 240 but on 120 have to touch the dial a little.
                  The listing for the 30 breaker is when the minimum of 14 wire is used, its slightly confusing and intended for those familiar with codes and nema, this machine is listed to 50A circuits. The 190 comes with a different cord than the new mvp which has an adapter for 240 and the lighter cord.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM.
                  http://www.facebook.com/cary.urka.urkafarms

Comment

I spoke there would be some liability with a lay explanation in the manual that exceeded minimum code that would clarify the wiring. I really doubt many want to wire these 14 anyway. But the how and why is very misunderstood, like hand me down code quotes. Many don't grasp the concept that they don't need 6 to plug a machine in that has a 14 or 12 cord.

Comment

One of the great reasons to buy new machines is wire and power demands. Inverters so portable long leads not needed and the new Stick mate has 200 DC out with 43 in.
                      For lot of practical purposes makes it about as good as a Dial arc from common welder circuit.

Comment

A 30 amp breaker is fine. That is what I used my 210MVP's on when I worked in the little shop. I ran them on the second highest tap, often. Oh, a piece of my past...I miss the creativity sometimes. Locking horns with an artistic-type boss with a short attention span....I don't miss.
                        fence and gate shop worker
                        At home...
                        Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                        Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Plenty of top end on the 210. The gun is the weak spot on that machine. My Lincoln 180 has no top end, but I knew that when I bought it. Runs good .035" flux core wire like butter. On uncoated steel there is almost no spatter, just wipe off the smoke and you are done.
                          fence and gate shop worker
                          At home...
                          Lincoln Power MIG 180....
                          Winco 6000 watt generator (13 hp Honda) "Big Jake"

Comment

Working...
                          X