Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hobart 210MVP Does input voltage effect output amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 210MVP Does input voltage effect output amps?

Hello Everyone., I measured my 230V plug today with a fluke multimeter and got 252V as a result, on most basic transformers, the input voltage will directly affect the output voltage and current. however as mig welders are constant voltage devices they likely have some sort of voltage regulators in them. that being said, the recommended settings still seem to run a fair bit too hot so does anyone know if your plug voltage will effect your output current with this welder?

I tend not to over think things but have to admit, I think your assumptions are correct. If you have a bit more going in, it will change what goes out.

Comment

Old school transformer welders with fixed step switch are fixed ratio...IF you are putting in 240 V and seeing 30 volts at tip of MIG gun transformer ratio is 8:1... Only time voltage/amperage changes (ratio) is what transformer tap you select with amperage switch...

Infinite adjust voltage/amperage welders are whole different animals..

If you are using mechanical switch to select taps, putting in 252 V and and if transformer ratio is 8:1 (at selected tap) you will probably see 31.5 volts at tip of MIG gun...

Dale
      Last edited by Dale M.; 05-14-2019, 09:52 PM.
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

It's a CV (constant voltage) power source, but it's still completely relative to the input voltage, which is also a constant voltage source, which is what makes the MIG a CV source as well, relatively speaking, compared with some components that make the stick welding power sources a relatively CC (constant current) source.

Also make sure you are reading your supply voltage during load conditions, depending on where you are taking the measurement.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          It's a CV (constant voltage) power source, but it's still completely relative to the input voltage, which is also a constant voltage source, which is what makes the MIG a CV source as well, relatively speaking, compared with some components that make the stick welding power sources a relatively CC (constant current) source.

Also make sure you are reading your supply voltage during load conditions, depending on where you are taking the measurement.
          That's kind of what I suspected, I'll need to check voltage under load but if the suggested settings under the lid really were designed with 230V in mind it would explain why they seem to run way too hot, I ran a bead on some 1/4 plate as a test today using the recommended settings of 6 and 45 on wire speed, with .035 flux core and while I'm no professional welder, it had significant undercut and about blew through the corners.

That being said I'm really pleased with this welder, despite only having ran flux core due to not having a gas tank yet. Ive done numerous fillet welds with 3/16 and 1/4 plate and beat them flat with a sledgehammer with no weld failures

Comment

Once you use the door chart to find a setting, that's just to get you close enough to test it. Always plan on adjusting to get what you need. I'm sure every one I've ever run has been about 241 - 244 V input, which will be a very typical American supply. I don't even look to see what the settings wound up at.

Comment

Working...
            X