175 Handler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 Handler

My machine won't push the wire through any more. Tried replacing the liner which didn't work. Assuming the wire feed motor is faulty is it worth repairing?

Originally posted by Paul Bradshaw View Post
    My machine won't push the wire through any more. Tried replacing the liner which didn't work. Assuming the wire feed motor is faulty is it worth repairing?
    That depends? With deep pockets of cash you might wish to avoid the headache of fixing it and just buy a new one? Or you could do some reading on the subject and decide if it's worth trying to fix the problem?

Comment

You can test motor by disconnecting it from circuit board and putting leads across 12 volt battery... If motor runs, good chance problem may be else where.... Motor is 16 volt DC so 12 volt battery will power it for testing...

Part #202 708 is going to be tough to find, cursory search does not look to promising for availability...

Dale
      Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Good info. Thanks for taking the time.

Comment

It's almost never the liner. Odd thing to replace before diagnosing the problem. Definitely start with testing the motor with 12V. Do you hear the welder power contactor and gas solenoid clicking when you pull the trigger? These machines have a weak wire connection at the trigger in the gun, also.

But to answer the other question, it's probably worth replacing a motor if you confirm that is the problem. I replaced the motor in a much older Millermatic 130 ten years ago and it's still going strong, with its original liner.
          Last edited by MAC702; 07-18-2019, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Motor part number is
            FET97B47057612A4C11B67C2D842F368D4F. Was less than $30 on Amazon.
            Poor or erratic wire feeding, a loss of amperage or frequent contact tip burnback are all signs of liner problems.
            Also good idea to replace the liner on a machine this old.

Comment

Just a thought, but the wire tension on the reel is not too high, is it? or tangled on the reel?
              Miller Challenger 172
              Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
              Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

Hello, yes tension is good. Problem was the motor. Working fine now! The cost of the motor was very affordable and I was able to replace it myself without any problems. Already completed another project.

Comment

It's always good to see a good outcome.
                  Miller Challenger 172
                  Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
                  Older Sears AC stick machine

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bradshaw View Post
                    Hello, yes tension is good. Problem was the motor. Working fine now! The cost of the motor was very affordable and I was able to replace it myself without any problems. Already completed another project.
                    Hi Paul. So it was the motor. Glad to hear problem solved. Being old, cheap and handy, I have to ask, did you take the motor apart to discover the problem with it? I mention this due to a conversation with a buddy about mechanics.

I'm a guy that takes things apart. While not everything ends up back together and running, I've got a pretty good success rate going these days.
                    If you haven't taken that motor apart for a look inside, and I'm no expert, blowing out with compressed air, oiling the spindle bushings and end cup goes a long way to them spinning freely again. Some times the adhesive holding the magnets let loose. No push or pull. Grit and particle could as well disrupt the field I'm guessing but resistance seems to be the killer.

The conversation about mechanics...how labour cost was the culprit followed by who knows how. Cheaper to open a box then the effort to take it apart and fix or the experience that's expected to be needed. Then we were on about starter issues, solenoid troubles, worn bushing, grit, grime, crud mixed with a lack of lube usually the issue with starter troubles and failure. But your fixed and running, all good.

Comment

Good deal Paul.....glad you got it fixed......good job!!!
                      Gregg
                      Handler 210MVP
                      Stickmate 210i

Comment

Hello oldguyfrom56, Voltage at the motor was good so I tried running the motor with the wire tension completely off and gradually increased it. The motor stopped after very little tension was applied. From experience with electric motors this is text book motor problems. For the cost of replacement and the age of the machine there is no reason to attempt to service this type of motor. It is the same motor used in cordless drills which makes it readily available (once you know the part number) and mass produced which helps with the cost. It is very accessible and the polarity is clearly marked on the machine and the replacement motor for easy replacement.

Comment

Hi Paul, I replied as I did having gone through a similar effort with the same problem. I posted that a while back and while I maybe should have replaced the motor, your points on availability and cost well received, quite justified really, I went the take it apart clean and lube as well the drive gears in the feeder route.
                          Well problem solved, you're feeding wire again, time to weld something.

Comment

Working...
                          X