Handler wire feed motor not getting voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handler wire feed motor not getting voltage

I have what I guess is an original Handler, i.e. no number in the name.

The wire feed has stopped working.

The solenoid still engages when the trigger is activated.

I released the feed roller tension to remove load, still no go.

I cut the motor wires (they had permanently crimped connections) and determined that the motor runs fine by connecting it to an 18V cordless tool battery.

I put a voltmeter on the motor power wires and get no voltage to the motor when pulling the gun trigger.

While holding the trigger I turned the voltage knob to all positions and turned the feed speed rheostat back and forth; same.

The fuse feeding the motor is good.

I have a manual with schematic and while the motor drive circuitry is pretty basic, it could be any of several things - transformer, rectifier, 3 resistors, a capacitor, an inductor, and the connections.

Not sure, but possibly the voltage selection switch as well; once years ago I thought the welder had died, but it was just the switch being between settings.

Any experience or suggestions as to the likely culprit?
    Last edited by Noah Katz; 03-18-2019, 01:23 AM.

Originally posted by Noah Katz View Post
    I have what I guess is an original Handler, i.e. no number in the name.

The wire feed has stopped working.

The solenoid still engages when the trigger is activated.

I released the feed roller tension to remove load, still no go.

I cut the motor wires (they had permanently crimped connections) and determined that the motor runs fine by connecting it to an 18V cordless tool battery.

I put a voltmeter on the motor power wires and get no voltage to the motor when pulling the gun trigger.

While holding the trigger I turned the voltage knob to all positions and turned the feed speed rheostat back and forth; same.

The fuse feeding the motor is good.

I have a manual with schematic and while the motor drive circuitry is pretty basic, it could be any of several things - transformer, rectifier, 3 resistors, a capacitor, an inductor, and the connections.

Not sure, but possibly the voltage selection switch as well; once years ago I thought the welder had died, but it was just the switch being between settings.

Any experience or suggestions as to the likely culprit?
    Your Manual should identify model, but you have done a fair job of trouble-shooting so far, I think you should get the model and serial, and call Hobart for assistance.

Comment

If this is the one in the black case, 6969 or 6969A SPEC numbers, check the AC voltage into the bridge rectifier that feeds the rheostat. With the trigger pulled is should be between 28-40 Vac depending on what range the welder is set on.If no voltage then most likely the range switch is open. Just disconnect and do an ohm test from A and B to the numbered positions. Keep in mind that the numbers on the switch DO NOT correspond to the actual range.

Comment

Well no matter what anyone says, it wasn't going to get fixed without opening it up, so I removed the side cover over the guts.

I lucked out; it turns out one of the spade connectors to the fuse was disconnected, and one of its side edges was bent open, and it broke off with finger pressure.

I extended the fuse wires, which were so short that they were hard to attach, and the feed works fine.

Comment

Excellent....

Dale
          Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Awesome!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X