Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got some 75/25 and noticing more sparks than with flux, is this normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some 75/25 and noticing more sparks than with flux, is this normal?

Hi there I have a Hobart 140 and I’m not a pro by any means. Just mess around at home. I was using flux core for a while but got bored and wanted to experience more with it so I picked up some solid wire and some 75/25. Talk about some beautiful welds!( can’t even imagine tig) Anyway, I weld in my garage, I let my father in law have at it and noticed a LOT of sparks flying, a lot more than with flux core welding, and to be honest it scares me a little.... should there be a certain angle to hold the gun to avoid this, or reduce this ? Is there a trick, or is this normal? ? Thanks for any advice!!

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    Originally posted by mkr88x View Post
    Pictures of what, the sparks ? I’m really confused by your answer. I just wanted to know if mig welding with 75/25 shoots more sparks than flux core.
    Yup, take a picture. Have the old dad weld with one wire type snap a picture. Switch wires snap another picture. Compare. Don't confuse distance of travel with quantity. Larger hotter droplets hold the heat, and when they let loose fly further.

Leave a comment:

• Sandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    You will still get significant "sparks" with the GMAW process, vice FCAW. But I suspect that it's mostly a perspective difference you are seeing.

That was my first thought, too. Then he said they looked beautiful, and he didn't notice the "extra sparks" until someone else was welding. Definitely agree it's still the first thing to make sure.
    Could be it right there. Assuming the settings are close to correct in both scenarios, self shielded flux core is typically more 'spray like' than solid and short circuit. Short circuit produces larger bb's as spatter. Larger and easier to see. Flux core tends to be have a much brighter arc zone, smoke, fine spatter.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    You will still get significant "sparks" with the GMAW process, vice FCAW. But I suspect that it's mostly a perspective difference you are seeing.

Originally posted by calweld View Post
    I know this might be too obvious, but did anybody think, changing from flux core to hard wire, you also have to change polarity to electrode positive?
    That was my first thought, too. Then he said they looked beautiful, and he didn't notice the "extra sparks" until someone else was welding. Definitely agree it's still the first thing to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    I know this might be too obvious, but did anybody think, changing from flux core to hard wire, you also have to change polarity to electrode positive?

Leave a comment:

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

Listen to Dan and Brocolli, and ignore the guy who is attempting to fuzzify another thread to death!
    That Northwelder, he wouldn't fuzzify a peach. Better listen to Dan, Brocolli, and me, I mean him...lol.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Hi there I have a Hobart 140 and I’m not a pro by any means. Just mess around at home. I was using flux core for a while but got bored and wanted to experience more with it so I picked up some solid wire and some 75/25. Talk about some beautiful welds!( can’t even imagine tig) Anyway, I weld in my garage, I let my father in law have at it and noticed a LOT of sparks flying, a lot more than with flux core welding, and to be honest it scares me a little.... should there be a certain angle to hold the gun to avoid this, or reduce this ? Is there a trick, or is this normal? ? Thanks for any advice!!
    Listen to Dan and Brocolli, and ignore the guy who is attempting to fuzzify another thread to death!

Leave a comment:

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    Pictures of what, the sparks ? I’m really confused by your answer. I just wanted to know if mig welding with 75/25 shoots more sparks than flux core.

I had two eggs for breakfast and one didn't look right? That was your question. Does the picture help answer the why? I think so.

As far as the question goes about sparks...maybe you should ask what would cause sparks to occur? Figure that out and you can then decide what to do that will reduce the occurrence? From that you can decide if the amount of sparks is normal or abnormal in amount and frequency in the reaction of welding?

Having said that...the closer the stone to the surface of the water, the less the splash.

Not to be hard, harsh or difficult, if you want a more informed response, don't generalize the question.
    As Dan mentioned, if your not setting the process up properly, one can and will out do the other for sparks, or splatter if that's what you are referring to in conversation?
    At this point in the discussion, you've told us very little, and showed us even less.

Like calling the doctor and saying I got a rash? What's causing it? Well maybe you didn't get vaccinated and now have measles? Sun burn from welding? Some weird spider bite that's out of control?
    Maybe it's dry skin?

Which causes a redder rash? Good question? Seems I don't have an answer for you?

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    A steep gun angle or jumping forward off the leading edge of the weld puddle can lead to increased levels of spatter. I've noticed that the cursive "e" or circular motions tend to produce more spatter then traveling along straight with a little side to side motion. If you don't have the unit dialed in real well pushing the puddle tends to produce more spatter then pulling. Inductance levels influence spatter levels too.

Leave a comment:

• mkr88x
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Regarding Fire Extinguishers: Placement matters.

have one at the back of the Geerage and one in the front.

Fire ext is useless if it is behind a fire and you cant get to it.

Leave a comment:

• oldguyfrom56
    replied
    Pictures would have us agreeing or disagreeing?
    If I was you I'd get a second helmet and offer him some pointers on how to make them beautiful.
    Funny thing, when welding you never see just how much spark and smoke is created, you do however see a bit observing someone else welding.
    Yes...like a garden hose, where you want to water, and the type of stream you need for coverage.
    It's science, physics, technology with a degree of eye hand coordination.

My advice...read more, watch more training videos, ask questions that are more specific, and include pictures. Also keep a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X