X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeremyz28
    started a topic Trouble setting up new Handler 140

Trouble setting up new Handler 140

So I bought a new Handler 140 from rural king to try and teach myself how to mig weld. I’m having trouble doing basic setup. I’m wonder if I have a defective unit. I can’t call Hobart since it’s the weekend.

I watched their youtube video on setup. When I got to the section for running your initial wire through the gun I ran into a snag. Turned the unit on for the first time ever. It comes on but as soon as you turn it on so does the orange overtemp light. And when you press the trigger to feed the wire nothing happens.I have fan, and overtemp light and thats it.

I dont know if im doing something dumb or if I just got a lemon out of the box. I just have it in a normal 110v outlet. Do I need to go to lowes and buy one of the bathroom style outlets with a breaker in it or something?
    Last edited by Jeremyz28; 02-23-2019, 03:38 PM.

• Badbmwbrad
    replied
    You came to the right place. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum.
    Originally posted by Jeremyz28 View Post
    I was just out in the garage playing around with my fresh new Handler 140. Turns out Im not very good. I was really hoping I was a savant.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Well...... Lots of stuff here to help you along in your new adventure...

http://weldingtipsandtricks.com

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Jeremyz28
    replied
    Thats what I did. Took it back as that is what the Hobart rep told me to do. I was just out in the garage playing around with my fresh new Handler 140. Turns out Im not very good. I was really hoping I was a savant.

That said, just out of curiosity, before I boxed up the defective unit for return, I did quickly try the test from the linked thread. Unplugging the gun did nothing, still turned on with the overtemp light on. So it wasnt a short in the gun.

Also FWIW I did try a search, and found several old threads relating to the OT light. That said most that I found were well used welders. Im new to this forum, but Im a hot rod guy, Ive been using forums for a while.
    Last edited by Jeremyz28; 02-25-2019, 07:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Dale M. View Post
    I believe the conversation is take the unit back and get complete fresh one stilled in box....

Or did I miss something in #17.....

Dale
    No, it's my fault, because I just wish more members would use the search function, rather than trigger a rehash.. I was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    I believe the conversation is take the unit back and get complete fresh one stilled in box....

Or did I miss something in #17.....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeremyz28 View Post

I could totally see that, however in my case it wouldnt really matter. I would have to take it back to get a new gun anyway.
    And you get a new gun, and then find that it.s the temperatue control wire or relay??? Contact Keith before you do anything else'

Leave a comment:

• Jeremyz28
    replied
    Originally posted by Northweldor View Post
    I could totally see that, however in my case it wouldnt really matter. I would have to take it back to get a new gun anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Read This Thread

https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/f...obart-210-help

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    IF they care, just swap the Styrofoam. They might need to ship it back to Hobart unless they have a tech who repairs it locally.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremyz28
    replied
    Should be fine. I have the receipt now. I have the box. The only thing I don’t have is the top styrofoam. But it’s broken so it’s not like they could resell it.

Leave a comment:

• Rangerhgm
    replied
    I was going to suggest you go back to RK and see they could print a duplicate receipt from their records, but you beat me to it.

Let us know how things turn out.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Hobarts customer support is really good....... Hang in there....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Jeremyz28
    replied
    Just to follow up. It was a 5 minute conversation. Hobart said most likely the thermostat lead wasn’t improperly installed from the factory and I should just take it back to the store for exchange. Glad I got that receipt reprinted.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremyz28
    replied
    Yeah I’ll definitely get them on the phone Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I have a doctors appointment Monday that may monkey wrench the situation.

On the the bright side I took the box back to Rural King today. Told them the date I bought it. They scanned the box and gave me a duplicate receipt. So no more panic. I will let everyone know how it plays out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X