Trouble setting up new Handler 140

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble setting up new Handler 140

So I bought a new Handler 140 from rural king to try and teach myself how to mig weld. I’m having trouble doing basic setup. I’m wonder if I have a defective unit. I can’t call Hobart since it’s the weekend.

I watched their youtube video on setup. When I got to the section for running your initial wire through the gun I ran into a snag. Turned the unit on for the first time ever. It comes on but as soon as you turn it on so does the orange overtemp light. And when you press the trigger to feed the wire nothing happens.I have fan, and overtemp light and thats it.

I dont know if im doing something dumb or if I just got a lemon out of the box. I just have it in a normal 110v outlet. Do I need to go to lowes and buy one of the bathroom style outlets with a breaker in it or something?
    Last edited by Jeremyz28; 02-23-2019, 03:38 PM.

sounds like you got a bad one. setup is really pretty straight forward

Comment

Yeah thats kinda my thought too. There isnt much I can do wrong. I set it up for gas welding polarity and thats really the only thing I did.

Comment

Yeah, the overtemp light is pretty weird.

Comment

I’m half *** panicking because I can’t find my receipt. But Hobart says not to take it back to the store anyway. So hopefully if it is indeed a lemon they will fix it without me having to take it back to the store.

Comment

Hobart is very, very good about this kind of customer service. Don't panic. You'll have answers on Monday.

I'm having deja vu about this overtemp light thing. Either I've experienced it or read about it before in enough detail to enter my subconscious. It's been killing me trying to remember.

Comment

As someone who deals with electronic systems all day. My guess is that whatever circuit trips the overtemp safety feature has failed. It’s stuck either open or closed.

But hey, I’m rooting for me being dumb and doing something wrong.

Comment

"I watched their youtube video on setup. When I got to the section for running your initial wire through the gun I ran into a snag. Turned the unit on for the first time ever. It comes on but as soon as you turn it on so does the orange overtemp light. And when you press the trigger to feed the wire nothing happens.I have fan, and overtemp light and thats it."

Four questions.
                1) Did you know buying something on Visa doubles your warranty?
                2) You get a permanent receipt of the transaction?
                3) Is it confirmed the voltage dial "clicked" properly into place?
                4)
                Have you pushed the reset button?

I mention the first two points as fatherly advice. The latter two as advice assuming possibilities?

Also, I remember things. Some call it selective memory. This problem was posted a while back and if you go looking, you'll likely find some answers. That's why I suggest #3 and #4. If you've done every thing to the book or video, and that doesn't fix it...maybe you bought the one buddy had and took back because he used Visa wisely? Lol. I hope things work out in your favor.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post
                  "I watched their youtube video on setup. When I got to the section for running your initial wire through the gun I ran into a snag. Turned the unit on for the first time ever. It comes on but as soon as you turn it on so does the orange overtemp light. And when you press the trigger to feed the wire nothing happens.I have fan, and overtemp light and thats it."

Four questions.
                  4)

I mention the first two points as fatherly advice. The latter two as advice assuming possibilities?

Also, I remember things. Some call it selective memory. This problem was posted a while back and if you go looking, you'll likely find some answers. That's why I suggest #3 and #4. If you've done every thing to the book or video, and that doesn't fix it...maybe you bought the one buddy had and took back because he used Visa wisely? Lol. I hope things work out in your favor.

I did get a reciept, I was cleaning and must have tossed it. Im mad about it. I almost always pay for things with my visa, but in this rare case I paid in cash. I had some money from my renter paying me and I used it to buy my own birthday present. The welder. So of course the ONE TIME I buy something in cash I lost the receipt. I even made sure I got one, like I said I was cleaning my garage and I must have thrown out the bag.

Voltage is selected in position correctly. I tried it in multple spots. I did try the reset button, but it barely seems like a button. Im almost concerned that it is the problem. It doesn't have a very positive push. Considering its very clearly still under warranty, I think i shouldnt have a problem having Hobart fix it, but it might have been much easier to just take it back to Rural King. That said I think they have some proprietary stickers on the box so maybe they might take it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by oldguyfrom56 View Post

Four questions.
                    4)

You know if you use "quote feature" it makes your replies much more readable.....

Dale
                    Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Comment

Well in any case I registered it online. And its clearly under warranty. So I suspect if it is broken Ill just have to drive a little and take it to a service center for warranty work. But it for sure might have been easier to just return it. Thats what I get for cleaning. Moral of the story......never clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremyz28 View Post
                        ... I did try the reset button, but it barely seems like a button. I'm almost concerned that it is the problem. It doesn't have a very positive push.....
                        It won't be a real button that does anything until it pops. So the fact that it doesn't feel like a button means it has not popped from current overload.

...That's what I get for cleaning...
                        Rookie...

Comment

Makes sense, again, Im betting whatever circuit causes the overheat protection to engage is stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremyz28 View Post
                            I’m half *** panicking because I can’t find my receipt. But Hobart says not to take it back to the store anyway. So hopefully if it is indeed a lemon they will fix it without me having to take it back to the store.
                            honestly if the store isn't that far away i'd go try anyway. hope someone remembers you buying it (they should since it was recent) and if you're only doing an exchange they will often do that without receipt anyway. i have no idea how long Hobart usually takes to warranty things but i've had other companies take weeks or even months to get something back into my possession so the store is always the preferable option.

Comment

Don't do anything before calling Hobart on Monday. They can use the serial number for warranty period and have a good idea how long items sit on the shelf before they are sold to the end user. They are also pretty keen on knowing what the issue is and very keen to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X