X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOBARTxj
    started a topic Mvp 210 extension cord.

Mvp 210 extension cord.

This should be a simple inquiry, I hope.

I would like to add a 220v extension cord for my welder to weld inside my vehicle.
    - will the mvp210 work with a 25ft-50ft cord?

any recommended cords?

magnet grounds, are they as simple as clamping onto it?

Thanks everyone

• MAC702
    replied
    Wow. Thanks, Ed.

I take it back, guys. Pre-made cords have come way down. I didn't even do the math, not expecting it to have been that drastic a difference.

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Mac, the cheapest I could find 10/3 cord is .92 (online) doubt it is cheaper locally .

10/3 cord shipped $39.50 connectors 11.99 each with using the female wall mount style

cost of a 25' 10/3 soow cord: $63.48 50' $88.48

Amazon: 25' 10/3 cord with molded 6-50 connectors $49.99 50' $84.99
    VEVOR Heavy Duty Welding Cord 30 Amp 25 Feet Welding Extension Cord 10/3 Welding Machine Cord MIG TIG Plasma (30A 10AWG)

Bakers Gas Welding Supply:
    25' 8/3 welder ext cord $58.00 free shipping 50' $110.00

https://www.bakersgas.com/DIR4000830...BoCCaYQAvD_BwE

Leave a comment:

• Andy578
    replied
    Originally posted by HOBARTxj View Post

lastly if magnet clamps are crap, how do you recommend ground to interior car body?
    if you can't find a decent spot just tack a bolt somewhere. magnetic grounds will arc and gouge the **** out of the area anyway so with either option you'll have to clean it up but at least with a bolt you're actually gonna get a decent connection

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
    B

......It MAY be feasible to tack on a sacrificial tab that you can break off later.
    Worked with a restoration guy who did this all the time, and just ground it smooth after.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Building your own cord is far more cost effective. Yes, the factory molded plugs and connectors are nice, but a PROPERLY made one is just as sound. Many people, including some "electricians," don't have the knowledge or patience to make them properly.

Magnet clamps are crap, BUT sometimes they are an expedient way to get it done. I have one for such times, even though I avoid it.

It MAY be feasible to tack on a sacrificial tab that you can break off later.

Leave a comment:

• HOBARTxj
    replied
    Thanks Mac,

I've read however, currently these days, buying pre-made cords is a but more cost effective on the wallet, and a but better build for wire to plug connection/ housing.

lastly if magnet clamps are crap, how do you recommend ground to interior car body?

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Man, I should quit my job and just make welder extension cords for a living.

To the OP, your 210 only needs a #12 extension cord for that distance. You can get a thicker one for all the gravy you want, though. When making your own cord, the bigger ones are easier to land in the cord caps, and the thicker cord will handle abuse a bit better. But build it to your budget. All the parts are at the hardware store.

That said, I know electricians I wouldn't trust to make extension cords. You need to have the patience to cut the hard service jacket of the cord without cutting the soft insulation of the conductor inside.

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

! would grab up a couple of 50' s, at this price, with free shipping

Edit - The Above is wrong!

Thanks for the correction, Dale. I changed the size to 50', and the price didn't change, so i believed the deceptive advertising!
    (I have 3 x 25' that I got for 25$ Can, on sale, so, as you say, shop around).
    Yes it does change did you see the +$70 in the box after going to 50 ft... Also in cart it comes up$147... You did not fully understand the pricing/length box....

Click image for larger version  Name:	50foot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	14.6 KB ID:	703858
    And then there is this....

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ALEKO-Wel...a&selectedSell

Dale
    Last edited by Dale M.; 02-20-2019, 08:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    Here's a better price on 50 ft.

http://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.co...v-dwc83stblk50

Leave a comment:

• Dale M.
    replied
    Originally posted by Northweldor View Post

! would grab up a couple of 50' s, at this price, with free shipping!
    $77 Price at first view on site is for 25's its $147 for a 50.... Would shop the net for best price....

Dale

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    ! would grab up a couple of 50' s, at this price, with free shipping

Edit - The Above is wrong!

Thanks for the correction, Dale. I changed the size to 50', and the price didn't change, so i believed the deceptive advertising!
    (I have 3 x 25' that I got for 25$ Can, on sale, so, as you say, shop around).
    Last edited by Northweldor; 02-20-2019, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Andy578
    replied
    magnet grounds are pure garbage. avoid like the plague. they seem like a good idea but they have a really horrible connection. every single one i've ever used will arc through the magnet and gouge up both the material it's connected to and the magnet itself. of course it's not fun trying to weld when your ground is constantly arcing either

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    http://store.cyberweld.com/230voexco25.html

Leave a comment:

• Northweldor
    replied
    Originally posted by HOBARTxj View Post
    This should be a simple inquiry, I hope.

I would like to add a 220v extension cord for my welder to weld inside my vehicle.
    - will the mvp210 work with a 25ft-50ft cord?

any recommended cords?

magnet grounds, are they as simple as clamping onto it?

Thanks everyone
    If you do a search on here, you will find this subject has been well covered. Also your manual has recommendations.

Most avoid the magnetic grounds because of the affects they can have on an arc (eg.: arc blow) and poor connections.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X